Caravan weights

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Further to my rant yesterday, the caravan in question is a Dethleffs Camper 470 and the weight info is posted on their website, www.dethleffs.co.uk/ This states that the MIRO weight of 1145kg quoted is according to 'EU-Norm DIN EN 1642-2'

(I suppose this must mean something to somebody).

At the end of the day however, if the maunufacturer states a MIRO weight, then surely the caravan should weigh that figure (ish). The alternative is to take every caravan to be weighed before purchase.

Could have interesting Insurance/Police implications also!

G

Just out of interest I had a quick look at the Dethleffs UK page and see the same figures you are quoting. However, I note the German page indicates a MRO of 1092kg for the 470 model but it has obviously been changed to suit the UK market. A 50kg difference in MRO's does seem a bit excessive and I wonder if there have been other 'goodies' added for the UK model.

Mind you you should possibly look on the positive side, the same page gives several 4 berth models with available payloads of only 130 kg which I feel is frankly ridiclulous.

Only trying to cheer you up.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I don't know what level of specification Dethleffs supply caravans to the UK but the list of factory fitted options over here in Germany includes some relatively heavy items. Adding up the weight of all the available options for that model, I arrive at a figure of +79kg.

The determination of the correct MIRO for a caravan will not have any legal implications because there is no law which makes any reference to that figure. The law only concerns itself with actual roadgoing weight and the MTPLM. It is just unfortunate for the consumer if the MIRO is unexpectedly high because that will reduce the available payload.

The only way to increase MTPLM if payload is inadequate is to obtain necessary documentation from the manufacturer who will state what technical changes are required to the caravan first (for example, other tyre equipment or an axle change).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The problem as I see it is the 'stated' maximum weight has become so sacrosanct that common sense has gone out the window!

50kg is less than a sack of spuds weighs while the energy absorbed by the caravans suspension hitting a bump at 60mph is perhaps a hundred times that.

Figures are all right up to a point but not at the expense of using a bit of cokum, even the police will give you 5% and thats more than we are talking here

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Probably 9 times out of 10 you're right, Gary, and you can get away with exceeding the MTPLM by a small margin without any consequences (I speak from experience) but sometimes particularly the insurance companies can get very picky and are on the lookout for a reason not to have to pay up in case of an accident.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
While I agree with your thoughts Lutz, it's not a matter of getting away with anything but more understanding what you are trying to achieve and acting accordingly.

These 'cast in stone' limits are born out of trying to stop idiots overloading their outfits and causing a danger to themselves...and us!. Frankly this will never be the case for those that choose to ignore nor even seek good advice and hence these hard and fast rules.

Where insurance companies are concerned they are quite rightly looking for the same idiots but not for the likes of people here that take the trouble of asking first.

G

I have to agree with Lutz. I would be very surprised if any insurance company were to approve you exceeding a manufacturer's weight limits, by even a very small amount. Not only would they be stating the manufacturer was wrong, they would then be admitting all forms of liability, not just to you, but to anyone else involved.

There is a legal 'line in the sand' with MTPLM's, so don't ccross it. As has been mentioned if wieght is a problem, then possibly a chassis upgrade can be contemplated, or throw out some of the wife's clothes (only kidding dear).

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
manufacturers generally state miro to +/-5%,and your motor mover on top of that could take your van to 1227kgs.so your van is actually within the tolerance.the main thing is you now know its exact weight so you can load it within the law.

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your info guys, I guess I'll just have to bear in mind that as long as I don't exceed the MTPLM I should be OK.

I wonder how many people innocently buy a caravan and just load it up and use it without ever having one of these "thought provoking experiences"

Maybe ignorance is indeed bliss!

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
manufacturers generally state miro to +/-5%,and your motor mover on top of that could take your van to 1227kgs.so your van is actually within the tolerance.the main thing is you now know its exact weight so you can load it within the law.
Thanks for your reply, Craig. This weight of 1227kg only leaves me with a payload of of 73 kg.

Won't be taking to much with us on hols. this year!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts