Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Hi all im looking into buying a caravan but i have a width issue in that my drive is only 7ft 1 inch wide. does anyone know of any caravans smaller than this in width. looking for 4 birth.
Thanks in advance

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Mick,
Tricky. Most modern caravans start at 7’2” rising to 8’.
Models like the Eriba range are circa 6’7”.
Some smaller pods will also fit the bill.
You could look at the Trigano range or maybe a 1970s retro caravan.
What did you have in mind?

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Even some of the folding campers/trailer tents are around 7 feet wide so choice is limited. Some Eriba models were just under 7 feet wide but to be manageable I'd want at least 6 inches clearance down each side, even that will require careful manouvering dependent on the length it has to travel. If it has to stay parked in the driveway then access to the interior won't be possible.

There were narrower older models (I THINK Lunar and Avondale did some 6' 6" models) but again, it'll still be tight.

Does your measurement include any window-sills, drain pipes etc as they will also need to be considered.

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum Mick,
Tricky. Most modern caravans start at 7’2” rising to 8’.
Models like the Eriba range are circa 6’7”.
Some smaller pods will also fit the bill.
You could look at the Trigano range or maybe a 1970s retro caravan.
What did you have in mind?
Cheers dusty. Nothing really in particular just a decent caravan to travel this country with the Mrs and kids. ill have a look at the ones you've mentioned. Can you think of a particular Eriba model.

Jul 28, 2023
Visit site
Even some of the folding campers/trailer tents are around 7 feet wide so choice is limited. Some Eriba models were just under 7 feet wide but to be manageable I'd want at least 6 inches clearance down each side, even that will require careful manouvering dependent on the length it has to travel. If it has to stay parked in the driveway then access to the interior won't be possible.

There were narrower older models (I THINK Lunar and Avondale did some 6' 6" models) but again, it'll still be tight.

Does your measurement include any window-sills, drain pipes etc as they will also need to be considered.
Thanks Gary. The problem i have is the chimney breast down on driveway without it id have around an extra 10inch. can you think of a perticular lunar or avondale i could look at.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It’s probably best to look at the Eriba brochures Mick. They are quirky, not particularly cheap and some will,say space is at a premium. As you have kids too I suspect space will be important.
Looking at it from another angle why do you want to store at home rather than a storage site ? Width wouldn’t be a problem ?
Also I suggest you physically look at as many layouts as you can before making your final decision as we all have different requirements.

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The narrow Avondale's were the Dart range but they stopped trading several years ago. Seeing as your "pinch point" is only the chimney breast it should make maneuvering round it a BIT easier. The Erbia Touring models were about 6' 10" wide but I can't remember if they did a 4 berth? Certainly seen a 3 berth.

Some Coachman models from the mid 1990's (the Mirage range) were 7' wide. but you'd need to ensure that wasn't just the bodyshell as the windows tend to stick out a bit further due to their blown/bulbous design.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Sprite Compact. Overall width 2 m or 6ft 8 according to Swift website
Sorry just read your post properly. This one is only a 2 berth
I would second the suggestion about storage. Would give you massively more choice.
Mel

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The other alternative of course is to look at storage. With the width you have available you going to really struggle to get anything big enough for a family.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The other alternative of course is to look at storage. With the width you have available you going to really struggle to get anything big enough for a family.

Come on! Anything's possible if you try, just like these lads (some of the language is a bit colourful so watch with the sound off if easily offended):

View: https://youtu.be/q-jxHAeO0oI

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Why not buy a caravan that you really want and is suitable for your tow car and store the caravan at a storage site?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts