Caravan windows different colour

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
I have just had a front window replaced in my caravan and it is a different colour to the others. The dealership informed me that the new window will change colour given time (6 - 12 months). I'm very sceptical about this, has anyone else had the same problem?

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Chris - I had a 2006 Bessacarr on which the front windows were a golden tint.

I had to have 2 of them replaced, because of leakage, and the replacements came as a smoke grey tint ! I was also told that they will change colour in 6 months. Believe me they won't !!

Swift actually changed the 3rd one for me under the warranty.

Bill

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Chris,

You are right to be sceptical.

Our first van had a replacement front window fitted prior to us buying it and we had to replace another just after we bought it.

The result was three slightly different coloured front windows and in the 2 years before we got rid of it we noticed no changes at all in the colours.

Ken.

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
We had the large front window(middle)on our Sterling replaced last year and it was a completely different colour to the ones at either side. We were told that it would change colour within about 6 months but we rejected it and left it with them to sort out. The MD of the dealership looked at it and said that if it had been his caravan he would not have been happy with it. He took photographs and sent them to us and Swift and managed to get us 2 new windows for either side of the front so that they all matched. The dealership then fitted the windows free of charge to us. We now have 3 grey ones at the front and the others are brown. We are happy with that as it isn't noticable from the front or side but would have been if the front ones were different colours to each other. It is now over 6 months since they were fitted and I'm pretty sure they are still grey but will check for certain when we pick it up from storage either tomorrow or Monday and let you know on here. Just like to say that we had fantastic service from Catterick Caravans over this matter.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
My understanding is that this is a known industry problem where the manufacturer has changed the colour of the windows.

I don't know who it affects but have certainly met owners of 2005 & 2006 Swifts and Baileys who have been affected.

The comment about changing colour in 6 months I'm sure is just an industry fob-off that they may be lucky that some customers accept.

Bill

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
We had the same problem with our Bessacarr van. windows leaked and were replaced by ones of a different colour, was told they would change colour but insisted they changed all the windows, Still leaked so got rid of Van

Andrew

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Just to let you know that I checked the front caravan windows today and they are still grey. I think we had them changed at the end of October last year and the colour appears to be the same as it was then.

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Chris,

People we know have a 2004 Lunar Delta and the front middle window was replaced because of a problem with the front locker.

The other 2 small windows were blue tint and the replaced was brown tint.

The dealer said it would change to a blue tint but 3 years on it still looks very noticeable and has not changed colour at all.

Hope this helps

Ian

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
We bought our 1998 Swift in 2004. Looking through the paperwork showed that the previous owners had replaced one of the front windows a year or two before. At the time I could just make out the colour difference but now it stands out like a sore thumb. The original windows are green tinted & the newer one looks brown now!!

Anyone know where I can get a 1998 vintage "aged" green window from?

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
I worked for ICI acrylics (perspex) research for 10 years and acrylic is one of the most colour stable plastics available, if a dealer says it will change colour then there is something wrong with it, they are lying or do not know what they are talking about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I concur with Garfield, well to a point anyway.

It is my understanding that tints used in plastics are generally quite stable, and any change in colour due to age or exposure to sunlight will be to reduce the depth of the colour - not change it to a different tint, or due to the surface of the window becoming microscopically pitted or scratched which tends to 'whiten' the surface and and reduce transparency.

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks again for everyone who has taken the time to reply, its been extrememly informative. I've sent the link to this page to the dealer to have a look at and I'm hoping to hear from them tomorrow. I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again.

Chris.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

Most windows in UK caravans are manufactured by a company called Polyplastic. The sole UK agent for Polyplastic in the UK is Miriad Products. There is a page on their website which describes the change in "shade" which all Polyplastic windows are subject to over time due to UV.

http://www.miriad-products.com/colouracrylic.htm
Replacement windows supplied by Miriad are stored in restricted UV conditions meaning that the shade will be similar to the original colour of the windows on your caravan when it was new.

It really depends on whether you feel your replacement window is a different shade or whether the tint is wrong. If the tint is correct but the shade is wrong then this can be expected. The shade of your replacement window will change over time (I wouldn't like to say how long) to match your existing windows. If the tint is wrong then you should go straight back to the dealer. If the replacement window has been manufactured by Polyplastic then you can check the code etched on the window to see if matches the originals on your caravan.

If your van is under warranty then you may be able to get the dealer to replace any adjacent windows if you are not happy with the difference in shade.

I replaced a Polyplastic window on my previous caravan outside of warranty and purchased the replacement directly from Miriad products. I part exchanged the van 6 months later and the shade had not changed significantly.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the dealer.

Mark.

Jun 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that Mark. I think that its the tint that's wrong. The original windows are a brown tint and the new window is grey. I'll check the website that you have suggested and I'll also check the code. Thanks again.

chris.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts