Caravaning in Holland

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
A number of years ago we decided to go to France which was an experience we did not enjoy, partly due to my ignorance of being in a foreign country and not really doing my homework on picking the correct site. As we are a middle aged couple who kids do not wish to join us anymore we have decided to bite the bullet and go to Holland. Can anybody recommend a good site that is visited by a number of English familes but not too commercial as we have now got used to going away without the kids

Thankyou

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have been to Holland twice and really enjoyed it. If you care to go here you can read of our two trips in 2011 and 2010 on our way home from Austria and Germany. Any questions please contactme will be gladto help.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
bagpuss, I can endorse Diane's comments about Holland. A lovely country, much overlooked by tourists, and most people speak very good English. A site we can recommend is Camping Weidumhout, near the village of Weidum, about 100km north of Amsterdam.It's attached to a gorgeous hotel and restaurant, and the owners are very friendly and helpful. The food is wonderful, but the site is not cheap. Judge for yourself - we spent two weeks there due to a health problem (Herself had to visit a doctor every day), ate in the restaurant three evenings, used the bar often, and our total bill was €450.Good central spot for touring too.
Give Europe another chance: it's a wonderful place, and don't be afraid of the language barrier.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
just come back from the Netherlands. Towing easy once you got used to watching out for bikes. lovely country, lovely people. The site we went to was a big family site (Duinrell) so not much use to you. Did Harwich to Hoek van holland by Ferry. A long crossing, but then not much towing afterward. Have done Dover to Dunkirk and then driven (not towing) up through Belgium to the Netherlands in the past as well.
mel

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, since my original post our 17yr old daughter has now decided she would like to come and bring her friend. Would you recommend duinrell

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
We've been to Duinrell though not with our own caravan, we hired a tent. We had 3 children with us, 2 10 year olds and 1 18 year old and they all thought it was fabulous. The swimming pool being the main draw for them. In fact the younger 2 are now 22 and both have said if we were to go back there they would want to come too - we probably wouldnt go on our own though, we're not into theme or water parks but once grandchildren arrive, ( first one due in March :-D ) we'd be happy to take them.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Age 17 is tricky. If she is a grown up 17 then probably not. The theme park at Duinrell is not Alton Towers and if your 17 year old is hoping for a load of white knuckle rides, there will be disappointment. There are 3 rides that are a bit pink knuckle but we are not talking Oblivion or Nemesis here. The tikki pool has lots of slides and this is a bit more older teen. The entertainment in the bar was aimed at 10-15 year olds imho. Having said that it is a big site and there are lots of people to meet up with. The pitches are arranged in areas and depending on which pitch you book can be quite spacious. The toilet and showers are excellent. Getting around the site with a van in tow however was another matter and there were some very tight turns, especially when you first arrive and haven't worked out the best way to do it. I closed my eyes and I suspect OH who was towing did the same! Would I choose it for two adults and a 17 year old, no I wouldn't. If you have 5-15 year olds; Absolutely yes. If you do decide to go I'll ask Parksy to give you my email address and I will point out the best pitches. The site is only a 45 minute tow from the Hook and near a very nice beach. It is the north sea of course so the water won't be warm.
mel

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Try Recreatipark Ter Spegelt. Near Eersel just over the Belgian border in Holland. Very near Eindhoven
Fantastic facilities and if you use the Camping Card from ACSI only 16 Euros per night. This time of year you can pick your own pitch from 80 m2 to 130 m2 at no extra cost. Easy to get to from Calais and Dunkerque.
Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts