Caravaning over the winter months

Jul 22, 2020
Visit site
We’ve usually put our caravan in storage over the winter but this year we have the option of using it.
does anyone actually go away over the winter months and find it enjoyable?

May 2, 2020
Visit site
We go away at least one week per month all year and enjoy winter touring as much if not more than in the summer also in the winter places are quieter

Reactions: mnlatham
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes and yes.
Just make sure you take a few extra precautions eg insulate your aquaroll and associated pipe work. . You can buy ready made jackets or fabricate your own. A lot of sites are open all year. In fact Christmas away is great fun👍👍

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We normally go away for the Chrsitmas returning before the New Year. Then again in Fen depending on the weather. Once caugt in a snow storm and do not fancy being in the same position again. Luckily at the time we were not far from home, but still very stressful!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Yes to both ,never had a sharp enough freeze to do anything other than freeze the surface of the aquaroll so underneath was fine and never use a cover,just keep it close to the van so it's a bit sheltered and gets a bit of warmth off it. That was a cold night, the sand at Sutton on sea had frozen solid. Strange sensation walking on absolutely frozen rock hard sand)As soon as we arrive we get the electrics on and full heating on and if really cold be prepared to combined gas and leccy but in the UK we haven't as yet needed to do that.

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
The only month we are not away showing the dogs is usually December. Only had a small problem once on a fully serviced pitch when the water froze but the owner managed to get one stand piper working and we all used that one until later in the day when a thaw set in.
The real problem came not in the winter but one Easter when we got snowed in and had to leave the van on site and collect it the following week. This was at Great Yarmouth

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We normally go at the end of December to Spain and return in March. we had a few cols nights 1 in Poitier-6, 1 in St Jean de Luz -4 and 1 in Zaragoza -6. But with the heating on no problems.

Les

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’m finding it interesting reading this topic as we are going away 12th November and depending on how that goes as it will be the latest we will have been away so far, if it goes well we’ll give December a try and so on until extremes call a halt.

BP

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I do, which reminds me that on my 'to do' list, is to insulate the blown air pipework where it runs under the caravan.

I just have to figure out how first!

I used domestic hot water tank insulation wrapped around the underfloor ducts and secured with cable ties - I still maintain that modified version of Truma's Ultraheat was better than my present Alde wet system.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used domestic hot water tank insulation wrapped around the underfloor ducts and secured with cable ties - I still maintain that modified version of Truma's Ultraheat was better than my present Alde wet system.

I’m with you on that score. I like the resilience of the blown air gas/ electric system plus a separate water heater too.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, we try and go away all year round, We have two aqua roll insulated covers and insulate the pump pipes as well, if you have an old water proof jacket you can use that and have the pump pipe coming out of the sleeve. Remember the drain pipes can freeze up as well. So i put a drop of anti freeze down the drains at night time.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we were younger i use to go out in the winter months but not now my Arthritis and a bad back starts up that my choice to stay near the warmth .... But i hope who goes have a great time ,.....
Take Care Keep Safe Everyone

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I do, which reminds me that on my 'to do' list, is to insulate the blown air pipework where it runs under the caravan.

I just have to figure out how first!
I used the silver pipe wrap insulation and then wrapped that with aluminium foil tape, there is a few videos on youtube about insulating blown air heating pipes

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It would need to be beep cold for the drain pipes to freeze ?

We've been away when it was -12C in the daytime - the aquaroll wasn't the issue, it was the site water taps freezing - just one worked, very slowly, over a sink in the old dairy - that was the only time we had to turn the Truma blown air up to 2 kw as the 1kw coped with anything else - in fact the 1/2kw setting was all we used most of the year, unlike the Alde which has to be cranked up if there's just a frost.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
We takes the bikes with us, have a bacon butty and cup of tea on a crisp frosty morning, then off for a bike ride around 20 miles or so, stop off for a pint at a country pub, then back. Gas and 12v power from the winter sun. Over the years have had to help the local council clear a tree over the road due to gales. Heavy snow on the A9 around Aviemore, heavy snow on the M42 & M5, pulled up a hill covered in snow by a tractor from the CL site we were staying on, also on a site the manager knocked on the door at 6.00pm, we had to pack up and move to higher ground, dinner in oven and table set, the site then flooded through the night, Can be good fun in winter.

25156601522_3536202984_c.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Some of the posts have highlighted a preference for blown hot air heating, and I think there are some good reasons for it in some caravans, but it isn't always the best so wet systems can be quite effective, more so in longer caravans.

Because the blown air systems use ducting with a substantial surface area, the duct its self will release heat in the bedding areas through which it passes. This can have the added benefit of ensuring water pipes and fittings in these space are kept above freezing when the caravan is in use.

It is also why underfloor ducting can be problem in some caravans. The standard Truma UR duct is not water poof so it should be protected with an outer sleeve at least. Whilst not is primary purpose the sleeve does provide some added thermal insulation, and there can often be a substantial improvement by adding some proper insulation around it.

One other trick that I have used in some caravans, is to make the hot air ducting create a complete loop or ring. This isn't always an option due to the caravan layout, but where it can done, it can make a big difference to the even distribution of heat throughout a caravan, especially at the farthest point from the heater.

Wet systems use small diameter pipes which loose far less heat (which is good for getting the heat around a longer system) but they don't warm the hidden spaces as much. This has led to some freezing issues in severe conditions.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We do the odd trip but only if the weather is favourable at short notice. We have blown air and once you learn how to control it to heat everywhere, it works well. Given the short length of ducting under a caravan if you have that I doubt the heat loss is that great, but others do not accept that. With small two berths this is all you need and wet systems there are to me over specified.
The heater is under the front offside seat which may or may not be used as a bed. The run after this on our is down the offside and not under any bed so only the front seat area gets warm inside.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts