Caravanning in France

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone

Am looking for some help. Can anyone recommend some caravan sites in France. Plan to spend two weeks this summer touring in France for first time. Have 3 kids, 10, 8, and 6 and looking for somewhere with some facilities but don't like huge sites as worry about safety. A beach location would be good but not essential. We plan to take bikes so a place to cycle would be good. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

L.

G

May I suggest you start by looking at the CC Overseas Brochure as it lists a lot of sites in France of various types. These are usually of a high standard and come with recommendations. Mnay people like them as a starter and go on to other sites once they are familiar with the area. Others just re-book each year.

I always feel it is difficult to give personal recommendations because a) after a year the site may have changed style and b) what one person likes is not necessarily some one else's cup of tea.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Have a look through some of the other postings on here - there are lots asking about First Time in France or similar - and there's likely to be some helpful advice.

France is a huge country with over 11,000 campsites, of all types from a single pitch in an orchard, to all-singing, all-dancing types. Again, it's difficult to make a personal recommendation because we go outside of peak season, when campsites are a very different 'animal' to high season. I'm not sure what 'safety' issues you're worried about - but French campsites, even the large ones, are very safe places to be for small children, even these days!

Usually I'd recommend choosing at least an area you want to visit and then asking for recommendations in that area. This narrows it down a bit. Have you decided how far you want to travel, for instance, do you want to stay on one site for the whole holiday, or tour and stay on a variety? Do you want 'guaranteed' sun (or as much as it can ever ben guaranteed) in which case you may have to think about travelling further south? When are you going? Later in August may be best, especially as this is your first time - because sites will be less crowded, as will the roads, so making for an easier journey and more choice of sites and pitches. Some of the very popular sites book up well in advance for the last two weeks in July and first two in August, but after that it can be quite quiet.

Read through some of the other postings, and then have a look at some of the regions of France - just google 'Tourisme' and the area you're interested in, and try to narrow your search down a bit and I'm sure someone will be along with some good recommendations.

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Hi We went to France for the first time last August and are returning to the same site in Aug. It is called Camping de la Baie in Southern Brittany about 2 3/4 hrs towing from Roscoff. Brilliant site if you have kids, not too big, really friendly , lovely pool and fantastic beaches on the doorstep. Loads of cycle tracks and walks. We loved the fact that you walked out of the site and were on the beach. We only used the car for going to the supermarket. We are there for 3 weeks in Aug. Denise

TRENDING THREADS