Caravanning in France

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
We are thinking about going to France for our summer holidays this year, but we don't know where to start.

Which is the best port to leave the UK from? We live in the NE of Scotland so don't have a port nearby. Should we drive to Hull or Dover?

Where in France would be a good place to visit for our first trip?

What extra equipment would we need?

Where is the best place to book a site? Eurocamp Independant or booking directly with a site?

Many thanks for your help in advance?

Alan

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Big question! Much depends on how far in France you want to travel and when. Ferry costs from Dover are almost always the cheapest but there are deals to be had (see some previous threads) particularly if you're a member of one of the clubs who each offer discounted fares via their websites. I live in the NE of England and we've used DFDS from North Shields for the last couple of years as they offer free caravans on certain days (normally Sunday & Monday outgoing) Saves a lot of diesel, but you end up in Amsterdam which is not great for most places in France but handy for Annecy which we think is absolutely brilliant. A lot of people start in the Brittany or Normandy area as there are ports close by but you'll have to go to the South coast for those ferries. The Dordogne is very popular, but a couple of days from the ferry. Best bet might be to look at the very good French tourist websites for the various areas (www.francetourism.com) and see which you like the look of!

Feb 17, 2007
Visit site
Big question! Much depends on how far in France you want to travel and when. Ferry costs from Dover are almost always the cheapest but there are deals to be had (see some previous threads) particularly if you're a member of one of the clubs who each offer discounted fares via their websites. I live in the NE of England and we've used DFDS from North Shields for the last couple of years as they offer free caravans on certain days (normally Sunday & Monday outgoing) Saves a lot of diesel, but you end up in Amsterdam which is not great for most places in France but handy for Annecy which we think is absolutely brilliant. A lot of people start in the Brittany or Normandy area as there are ports close by but you'll have to go to the South coast for those ferries. The Dordogne is very popular, but a couple of days from the ferry. Best bet might be to look at the very good French tourist websites for the various areas (www.francetourism.com) and see which you like the look of!
John,

Do you have any favourite overnight stops between Ijmuiden and Annecy ?

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alan

Don't know if you can get reasonable price for Rosyth - Zebrugge through the clubs. DFDS from Newcastle is the best ferry service we have ever been on.Just had a quick look on the CC ferry booking service DFDS

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your help so far.

I've got a twin axle van with 4x4.

2 kids, age 5 and 11. Would like a site with a pool, maybe some entertainment.

Don't want a "cheesy Haven" style site!

Would it be worht my while joining 1 of the clubs to get some discounts?

Thanks again

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Alan, I would join one of the clubs and get their european travel guide. They have details of all crossings, sites in various countries with details. They will book ferries and sites for you to make the first time experience as painless as possible.

I live in the North of England and always do the Hull to Zeebrugger crossing, because of convenience and we like the overnight crossing so we can get an early start the following day.

The books provided by the clubs will give you all the info. you need for foreign ravelling.

Good Lunk.

Graeme.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I would recommend for a first trip to France.....

Drive to Portsmouth with an overnight stop in UK.

Travel Portsmouth to Caen with...

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/home
and stay at...

http://www.campinghautescoutures.com/campsite-france.html
and enjoy Normandy.

Take a full gas bottle with you and use an electric hook-up on site. French gas requires different fittings.

Take a continental 2-pin adapter plug for the EHU, as French connections can be different. (Sold in caravan shops)

http://www.towsure.com/product/349-Continental_Mains_Converter_Lead
Just a suggestion.......

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
John,

Do you have any favourite overnight stops between Ijmuiden and Annecy ?
Mike. As we've only used DFDS recently, we haven't actually made the Annecy trip, but on previous journeys, we've stopped at Camping Mamer in Luxembourg. Great transit site and well used by the Dutch as it's just off the motorway. I tend to avoid toll motorways if at all possible!

John M

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
When travelling to France it is always handy to have a few brochures i.e. Caravan Club Travel Service in Europe and perhaps Camping Cheques book although camping cheques themselves are only accepted in low season and may not be applicable to your holiday. Caravan Club will have a good description of each site and, when booked, will send you a holiday information booklet through which will include directions to the sites.

Camping Cheques (if you google this you will get their website) have a good offer on with Condor Ferries at the moment sailing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg (we find this one of the most straight forward ports to get to) and caravans go free. They only sail to and from France on a Sunday but you can get your return crossing for about

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Alan,

I live in central Scotland and have visited France or Spain each summer for about the last 8 years. Staying up North does mean we can have a bit of a longer drive to contend with compared to those in the South.

Yes I would recommend joining the Caravan Club for their travel service and foreign travel insurance.

Some one mentioned the Rosyth to Zeebrugge ferry crossing, convenient but very expensive. Also it's not so very handy if you want to vist the west of France.

I have used Hull to Zeebrugge twice, much cheaper than Rosyth and also the ferry departure/arrival times were more suitable. But again we used it when we were driving down through France to the North of Spain rather than vist western France.

Our most common route is Portsmouth / Caen, then drive down the west coast to the Vendee area. Lots of nice beaches, not too far to drive (easily acheivable in one day) and a better chance of good weather compared to Normandy.

Lots of good sites in that area, most have a pool.

Have a look at Select Sites for booking, I have used them a few times. Also look at The Caravan Club foreign sites either in their brochure or online.

Depending when you want to go you might need to book soon for certain sites.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For a first timer I would recommend joining one of the major clubs and using ther services. I happen to be a Caravan Club member so perhaps a bit biassed towards them, but I'm sure the other offers good service too.

Get a copy of CC Caravan Europe volume 1 (France and Spain) which contains a wealth of information plus member's reviews of sites. Don't get too ambitious on your first trip (but unfortunately, like many countries, the "real" France is not the bit along the coastal strip but deeper inland ( and I write as one who first went to France in 1957)

Be aware that twin axle vans are not welcome everywhere in France, particularly at municipal sites. You don't actually say when you are going, but unless july/august you probably don't need to book months in advance for sites.

Assuming you have not driven there before, use the autoroutes until you settle in - many of these are toll, but worth it until you gain some confidence - there is much less traffic on them except immediately round the ports.

Where to go depends on what you want to do. Personally I'm not one for big cities and enjoy most the small towns and villages and the countryside.

The only equipment beyond that you use in UK you will really need is an adapter for the hook up - many French sites still use a round pin plug and may or may not have an earth connection - all this is detailed in the CC book.

You cannot change British gas cylinders in France, so suggest you take two full cylinders with you if going for more than a couple of weeks.

Moneywise take more than one credit/debit card and keep them apart in case of accident with one. Some supermarkets will need proof of identity but the Euro version of the photocard driving licence works most places.

Nationwide Post Office and some others offer cards which are commission-free for hole in the wall withdrawals in France, so don't take wads of euros from high commission exchanges in UK.

I could go on and on; one final tip - take it easy, don't try to do everything at once and above all enjoy it - a wonderful country and generally nice people - just like UK in these respects.

By all means keep using this forum if you have more questions - that's what we are here for.

TRENDING THREADS