Caravanning In Snow

Oct 29, 2006
Visit site
We are planning to go away on Monday and forecast is for heavy snow. At the moment its been "dinging" down with snow in Aberdeen. How safe is it to tow in the snow?

Any other tips I need once I'm on site too if its snowing?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alan.

First and foremost, take your time don't rush in the snow.

I always pack my car with winter essentials. First aid kit, Fire extinguisher, tow rope, torches (wind up ones), Hazard triangle, Hand winch and a rope, Jump start leads, spare winter clothes, wolly hat and gloves.

We also have two mobile phones on different networks.

Road driving in snow as you have probabley experienced in a solo car is all about thinking ahead and adjusting speed without jabbing the brakes, and being as smooth as possible with steering and braking. The same applies but about 3 times more important.

When you get to site, take your time to look at the site and plan your way in and out of the site. You may want to use a pitch near the exit or away from any steep climb to get off site.

I tow a twin axle van with a front wheel drive car and in poor conditions I always make sure to reverse the van onto the pitch and stop with the front wheels of the car still on the firm access road. This ensures best possible grip to pull off with.

If you do get stuck on site you can always pop over to the chap with the 4X4 to ask for a tow. They love playing in the mud and snow and will be ready to assist.

One last simple but most important thing to do is set up an ETA plan with a family friend. You know the thing, "I'll ring you at 4pm, to let you know I'm here safely". That way if aunty Girtude hasn't heard from you by 4-30 she can make that SOS call to the police.

Don't forget to adjust your ETA plan if you are just delayed but ok, to avoid wasting police time and resourses.

Above all else have a good time and think of it as an adventure and try not to get stressed out, as having an argument is not conducive to a safet journey.

By the way, I'm coming up from Herefordshire to Carlisle on Tuesday, so I hope the snow has buzzed off by then too.

Steve L.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Alan,

If you have heavy snow and it freezes, make sure you lift the electric lead above the snow each day. There is nothing worse than starting to pack up and discover your electric lead is stuck in frozen snow.

If you use an awning don't let snow build up on the roof of the awning.If possible use some heat in the awning.

With low temperatures leave the heat on in the caravan 24/7 to stop water pipes freezing.If temps drop below freezing,water pipes where they go over wheel arches can freeze at this point. If there is a cupboard door near the wheel arch leave it slightly open at night or when you go out.

Hamer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts