Caravanning in the winter

Sep 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi All
Just about to have our first Chrismas in the caravan,just a quick question regarding heating up the van,it has been in storage for 2 months and I am wondering about when I get to site and need to switch on heating do I put it on full or build up heat gradually as to stop any condensation? By the way I have truma blown air and a small fire unit

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We normally put the heating onto gas and electric and on about 20 c for about 1/2 hour then change it to electric, for the rest of the time.
Enjoy your Xmas away.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi All
Just about to have our first Chrismas in the caravan,just a quick question regarding heating up the van,it has been in storage for 2 months and I am wondering about when I get to site and need to switch on heating do I put it on full or build up heat gradually as to stop any condensation? By the way I have truma blown air and a small fire unit
Hi,
Condensation forms when the van cools down after being warm.
I've always wanted to go caravanning during the winter months but my better half doesn't like dark,cold nights.It makes sense to me to make full use of an expensive commodity.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi All
Condensation is all about the air's ability to carry moisture. In relatively simple terms warm air can carry more moisture than cold air, that is why blowing warmed air over wet washing allows it to remove moisture from the washing, but it also means that if you have warm air that has absorbed more moisture, when it comes into contact with a cool surface, the air cools and it can't carry all its moisture so it deposits it as condensation on the cold surface. (That's also how how condenser driers work!)

There's no problem warming up the caravan, you can warm it as quickly as you like. and it doesn't matter whether you use electrical or a properly designed touring caravan gas heater, as neither adds any moisture to the air in the caravan. Proper gas heaters (e.g. Truma and other besoke manufactured caravan heaters) are room sealed meaning no flue gasses enter the living space, so all you get is the air inside the made warmer ( and drier)

However if you use an open flamed appliance ( like a gas cooker ring or gas oven which doesn't have a dedicated flue to the outside then they will add moisture as a result of the combustions process. Humans and animals also raise the moisture level when they breath out, and that's why condensation is most often found in the mornings when teh caravan has been occupied and the ventilation has been at a minimum.

After using the caravan, the level of moisture in the caravans materials including the wood and fabrics will have risen becasue its been warmer, so when its put back into storage, and it it cools down the ability of the materials to hold the moisture reduces, so they also begin to release their moisture until it matches the moisture content of the ambient air.

To minimise the after use/storage condensation ventilation is very important. Lift or even remove all soft furnishings to allow full free flow ventilation around the caravan, and after a few days the levels of moisture in teh fabric of teh caravan will fall to match and track the moisture level of the ambient air.

Some caravanner's mistakenly think that a dehumidifier should be left running during storage - after the first couple of days it will not make any difference, except costing the user money to run the unit or to replenish its crystals.

If you do have a persistent condensation problem during storage, then its more likely to be a water leak of some sort allowing water into the caravan - get it checked out, as water ingress issues can become very costly to put right.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
One thing that we did in winter months is to ensure that clothes/bedding etc in the overhead lockers/wardrobe did not touch the outer walls as they can attract condensation. We had a Bailey Series 5 where Bailey decided that anti condensation boards were not required in those models, but as soon as the nights got colder the walls became wet with condensation behind the seats/beds. I complained to the dealer and Bailey and they fitted boards to ours. But like most things caravan it did not become a recall or modification to be fitted at first service. Unless the owner became aware of the problems and asked for it to be fixed nothing happened. I even think PC magazine may have raised the potential problem when the Bailey S5 first came onto the market.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We are dragging our caravan home this weekend. No time to go away in it but will have a few nights camping on the drive 😁
We have done that a few times, "Just to make Sure, it all works" 😂 but have never resorted to getting the Cadac out on the drive , YET.

Reactions: Bluetonic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts