Caravanning is life always smooth!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roy

Started off on a fornights trip to Strid Wood stopping off at Ferry Meadows on route.

Called into the local tescos filling up Diesel when the auto shut of valve failed resulting in diesel spilling onto my shoes

Later that night started to make the bed noticed that the plastic cover for the pillows was wet, got the torch out noticed that the inside wall of the van was wet then the torch went out (Bulb Failed).

Next morning in the sunshine noticed that the Truma Crystal Filter assy had hairline crack which sprayed water every time the pump was used.Quck trip to a local dealer to buy a new Filter assy, fitted it okay.

On arriving home sigh of relieve was short lived , reversing caravan with a motor mover up our drive, the pneumatic jockey wheel caught the curb, resulting in the tyre coming off the plastic rim, going back to my solid old wheel assy, never had any problem with that.

Cannot wait for the next outing.

Roy

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roy

What a shame, its important to sit back tough and try and have a bit of a giggle about it, you got there and back safely and thats all that counts !!!!! Next trip can only be better !!!!!x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roy,as Tina has said it can only get better. Put it down to experience and think positive. We have all probably been through a down side in caravaning but have bounced back. Good luck on your next outing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Roy,as Tina has said it can only get better. Put it down to experience and think positive. We have all probably been through a down side in caravaning but have bounced back. Good luck on your next outing.
HI Roy

We had a weekend break in matlock bath last october. The CL site said it was part slope more like side of a mountain. The carravan jocky wheel ran over my foot that hurt, my daughter let go of the aqua roll coming back to the van down hill boy that ****** can shift stopped it with inches to spare from crashing in to the next vans solar panel. My brothers doorlock broke locking them all in the van. That was funny. On the way home we lost the roof vent, cost me

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
And now you've got the flu! B**GER ! Get well soon x

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Caravanning is as smooth as you make it. For me it's an oasis from the "stressed eric way of life" I lead as a supervisor under a yanky style "blame culture" boss ifve days a week.

I don't care if I get stuck in the field, or have the fridge pack up. I just figure a way out of or round the situation.

I just chill have a bud and have fun, because the holiday is over too quick any way.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is our second season in Caravanning but on looking back to our very first trip it was a nightmare. Having no experience at all and missing my turn off on a roundabout going into the main town of Ripon made me want to dig a hole and jump in it, the air in the car turned blue but at the end of trying to get round all these little one-way streets with a 23ft caravan we finally managed to find Ripley and then here we were arriving on our very first site. On getting out the car it seems we were on stage and all eyes were on us so heres me sayng to myself please dont make a mistake. After about twenty minutes the van was unhooked and my dear missus started to unpack all the bits and bobs you normally take and that was another hour down the drain, as for the awning, that stayed in the car because there was no way I was going to attempt this on being the center of attention. Now from leaving home to Ripley, 1 hours drive, and setting up about 5 hours had passed, we thought never again. Now we are in our second season with quite a few trips under our belt we have never looked back, only for a laugh that is to say. I can honestly say that every trip is a pleasure and I'm always looking forward to the next. What a fantastic way of life.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I know this comment may not be welcome, but it's how I feel at the moment. We have been caravanning for over 20 years, I am now in my 50's, live in Northern Ireland. We have used our van twice this year for long weekends only so far. Our choice of sites is relatively limited for weekends and are now getting so busy that it is essential to plan several weeks ahead for a half decent site. Site fees ever increasing and fuel and maintenance costs likewise. Also the cost of getting out of Ireland on the ferry routes with a caravan is getting very high. We too have had our share of problems over the years, two major breakdowns (in almost new cars) but these things happen. Horrendous traffic jams on UK motorways. This year we packed a couple of cases and headed to the sun via a package holiday for the first time in years - no hassle, very relaxing and came back totally refreshed and relaxed. It's making me rethink whether I have had enough of caravanning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know this comment may not be welcome, but it's how I feel at the moment. We have been caravanning for over 20 years, I am now in my 50's, live in Northern Ireland. We have used our van twice this year for long weekends only so far. Our choice of sites is relatively limited for weekends and are now getting so busy that it is essential to plan several weeks ahead for a half decent site. Site fees ever increasing and fuel and maintenance costs likewise. Also the cost of getting out of Ireland on the ferry routes with a caravan is getting very high. We too have had our share of problems over the years, two major breakdowns (in almost new cars) but these things happen. Horrendous traffic jams on UK motorways. This year we packed a couple of cases and headed to the sun via a package holiday for the first time in years - no hassle, very relaxing and came back totally refreshed and relaxed. It's making me rethink whether I have had enough of caravanning.
Alistair - dont' give up on caravaning. You might be on a low at the moment regarding the caravan. We went through this a few years ago but stuck with it. My wife and I have just taken early retirement (in our late fifties) and enjoy caravaning now more than ever, I can understand what you are saying regarding the cost of a ferry to the UK. There are many beautiful sites and sights in southern Ireland to visit.

Think of the bulldog spirit and fight your way through the downside and come bouncing back.

Good luck and keep caravaning.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Alistair - dont' give up on caravaning. You might be on a low at the moment regarding the caravan. We went through this a few years ago but stuck with it. My wife and I have just taken early retirement (in our late fifties) and enjoy caravaning now more than ever, I can understand what you are saying regarding the cost of a ferry to the UK. There are many beautiful sites and sights in southern Ireland to visit.

Think of the bulldog spirit and fight your way through the downside and come bouncing back.

Good luck and keep caravaning.
Thanks for the kind supportive comments Colin which I shall take on board - I have also retired early though do consulting work over the winter months. The time I do still like is well out of season when it is quiet - obviously an "age" thing!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Roy - Oh how we laughed when the cover was not over the loo in the van and someone did a No 2 into the shell of the toilet. My husband laughed as he stood in freezing conditions with pink marigolds on cleaning it out. We laughed when our son peed on our mattress and my only pair of jeans (weekend away). My husband laughed when I spent a whole PMT week away nagging him that the new awning had three large 'bosoms' of water due to the torrential rain. We laughed when our friends forgot the barbeque for our BBQ meal, we also laughed when I forgot the pizza bases for our contribution and had to eat bread pizzas!

Actually we didn't laugh at all of these, but we do now - and we are a little wiser too. I think those who don't make mistakes never learn! Enjoy!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts