Caravans suitable for winter

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi Guys

We have decided to buy a caravan now that we have sold our sailing yacht. We've lived on the yacht for over 5 years - usually in warmer climates than the UK - so at least we understand life in a small space and we are used to onboard/aboard systems and facilities. We are currently buying a bricks and mortar UK home but are looking forward to once again being mobile, this time in a caravan. We've seen the coastal strip of the Baltic and Atlantic Europe now its time to see the interior. Ending the waffle then . . .

What are circa 2000 ish caravans like in winter. I'm thinking of condensation here.

Having enjoyed 6 winters afloat I understand the need for ventilation and heating but our boat had a well insulated hull and deck. Are caravans also built for winter living?

Thanks

Barry

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Barry,

We own a 2000 Elddis Cyclone GTX and use it throughout the year, come rain, shine, sleet or snow.

In the past we have suffered from condensation in the bedroom but now leave a couple of windows ajar (on the "night" setting) and everything's fine.

When connected to the electric the blown air heating is usually adequate but on a couple of particularly cold days we've run the gas heater as well and been perfectly warm.

Hope this helps.

Sep 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi Barry,

We own a 2000 Elddis Cyclone GTX and use it throughout the year, come rain, shine, sleet or snow.

In the past we have suffered from condensation in the bedroom but now leave a couple of windows ajar (on the "night" setting) and everything's fine.

When connected to the electric the blown air heating is usually adequate but on a couple of particularly cold days we've run the gas heater as well and been perfectly warm.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Rupert. Is your Elddis an especially warm 4 seasons version or are all Elddis similarly constructed?

G

My only comment it is not the van you really need to look at for winterisation, it is yourselves. As you state you have lived the life in warmer climes and so I suspect like me, your blood has thinned. I can only state that after living abroad for many years I really feel the cold now. So although the van would be fine, it is me who does not venture too far away from central heating and a warm bath and a magazine dreaming about summer.

I only hope you are not like the Telegraph columnist who decided to sell up in France after 40 years and move back to the UK. Most commenter's gave him a month at the most before he regretted it. Once he sees the state of the UK he will wonder if it is the same country he left.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Any modern caravan will be suitable for winter use. Just make sure it has gas & electric blown air heating which has been standard in most UK vans for the last 10 years or so. Condensation is much less of a problem in caravans than boats.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Barry.

I agree with the comment made by Rod. The most experienced and discerning all-weather caravanner's are the travellers and in adition to the van's he mentioned, you might also be interested to look at the Hymer brochure - see .

http://www.hymer.ag/medien/pdf/1192533964-Nova_2008_GB.pdf
As a quick check of the suitability of other vans, we were advised by Norwegian ( who uses his van for skiing trips ) to check for two essential features. Firstly, a close-fitting, double-skinned door to the gas locker and an on-board water tank.

The manufacturers of any van without these two features are unlikely to expect their products to be used in continuously cold weather and will have specified the standard of insulation accordingly.

A way of checking their belief in their product is to ask if they can provide you with an image of their van's taken with a thermal-imaging camera. In this country, you will find the results enlightening if not somewhat disappointing.

Olly.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
we have been winter vanning for nearly 20 years and agree that inboard tank and inboard pipes are preferable. Another alteration I have done in the past is to carpet under the bed , seats and bottom of cupboards if not already carpeted as this reduces cold spots. An area often overlooked by manufacturers is the wheel arches which are usualy plastic and the internal water pipes pass over them. Again I have carpeted these for added isulation and insulated as much of the interior water pipes. I only use propane so have never had a problem with the gas.

Winter vanning is great, we were awway in February when we had the heavy snow and were lovely and warm

MJC

May 24, 2006
Visit site
Just a quick point - on my van the blown air pipes are INSIDE the van throughout - on some English ones they are underneath/outside the van so they don't stay warm as they go from one end of the van to the other. Always look underneath.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts