caravining for 1st time and wheelchair user

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a 4 berth caravan for me and my wife , our 2 daughters who are 17 may come in time but for now its just me and the mrs.

Question is do you know of anyware you can hire a caravan for wheelchair users , i have seen frys 4 berth caravan but this is well out of my budjet .

We said we would hire first and if its not for us then we have lost only a few hundred pounds compared to thousands.

Can any one tell me if theres hire for disabled caravans ?

Andrew

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Forgot to add that i use elbow crutches and i could manage a few steps but only very short distances i know i can hire a 4 berth caravan with out any modifications

Andrew

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew, why not try some classified ads for a cheapy secondhand van? You might fall lucky and find one where they're retiring from 'vanning, and that way you get all the gear with it. If you decide that it's not for you, then sell it on again. It could cost less than hiring.

It always worries me when people who've never tried it go out and buy brand new kit!

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
Yes I agree , i have been reading lots of caravan mags like this one .

I belive that we will hire one first and if thats ok then we will buy a 2nd hand caravan upto around 5,000 try that for a few yrs and if we need to upgrade then fine if not if you know what i mean .

We went out today with tape measure and camera measuring the width of the doors and a makeshift ramp , or buy the steps that have a hand rail .

Andrew

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew.

I'm not as Imobile as your self, but I do find steps and negotiating the caravan steps difficult at times due to arthritis in my spine and shoulders.

I have a folding ramp that was made by Hydro Aluminimum Structures, primarily for London Taxis International. It is designed to be used on the black cabs for wheelchair users.

I have adapted the one I have, to use on our standard Abbey Freestyle caravan. The door width of our van would adapt for a chair but you would lose the 300mm wide tall cuboard next to the wardrobe. As I only need the ramp periodically when the arthritis flares up, I manage with the standard door and a double step.

As you are no doubt fully aware we all have quite different needs and any van would have to be quite specific to individual requirements.

I know the owner of Dinmore caravans as his daughter is a good friend of my sister. Mr Williams is a very pleasant chap and might be able to arrange some "out of hours" viewings for you so that you can paruse some vans at your leisure without the usual entarage of gawpers. His dealership has a good workshop and could possibly even adapt a van if required.

Most problems are solveable and you'll find that there are plenty of us caravanners out there, who are only too pleased to help when called upon.

If I can be of any assistance please feel free to drop a line on the forum.

All the best.

Steve L.

TRENDING THREADS