CARCASSONNE???

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is site right next to the "Cite", though I don't recall the name. Spoke to someone in France who had stayed on it this Sept.

Im sure someone will know the name.

There is a site just outside Carcasonne which has great views called something like Domaine d'Arnetuille.

Ian

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Your computer playing up Gordon?

The site nearest to Carcassone is Camping de la Cite. I don't think it's a municipal site any more - the website doesn't suggest so - http://www.campinglacite.com/lieu_hebergement.asp. It's certainly within walking distance - being adjacent to the old town! It's apparently very busy almost all season, as you might expect.

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
We used the 'Cite' camp site this September and it was very good. It takes about 20 minutes to walk into the old town along a small river. We have a 2006 Caravan Club sites book which lists the toilets as wc (some continental) but this was not the case. They are half and half. Need to buy a new book!!

Lawrence

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your computer playing up Gordon?

The site nearest to Carcassone is Camping de la Cite. I don't think it's a municipal site any more - the website doesn't suggest so - http://www.campinglacite.com/lieu_hebergement.asp. It's certainly within walking distance - being adjacent to the old town! It's apparently very busy almost all season, as you might expect.
No just my itchy fingers!

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately you can't pre-book this site. It's first come first served. I was belting down the autoroute checking with them every hour, knowing I wouldn't be there 'till about 5pm. My last call at about 4pm revealed that they couldn't take my 7.2 metre, single axle van as it was too big. Managed to find a site a couple of miles from La Cite but not within walking distance. I think it's called A l'ombre des Oliviers at Cazilhac.

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
I fully appreciate that I could have "Googled" for information about campsites. BUT what I wanted and thought I would get was helpful responses from other Forum users giving their PERSONAL experiences and recommendations for the Carcassonne area.

Thanks to those you did share their experiences,

Dave.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I can also recommend the Camping de la Cite site. It's included in the C&CC Freedom camping program if you want to go out of season. The fortress can be seen from the site, and the walk along the steam is v. nice. Only drawback when we went in June was only half the toilet blocks were open although the camp was probably more than half full leading to queues in the morning. Also, many of the toilets are the no seat variety, and you collect your paper at the door so not full marks there. Staff were helpful, quite a lot of info in the reception, internet connection at a reasonably price. The bar/cafe/takeaway was adequate (for the time of year) with a sports telly under a pergola (not my thing and fortunately well away from the vans). Surprisingly it is quite a way to go to a supermarket, smaller shops of course in the town itself but the main town is a little further on from the fortress.

John

TRENDING THREADS