Carcinogenic Hose?

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is any truth that using a standard garden hose to fill up our water tanks results in carcinogens entering our water supply? A guest on our site had been told this and was persuaded to purchase "food grade" hose pipe. I am sure this is just something a caravan accessory manufacturer has come up with to justify the high cost of their water hose however I would like to know if it is based on fact?

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Colin.

Who ever told your guest that garden hose is not suitable for caravan use, apart from washing it, was quite right. You must use hose marked "food safe" and is usualy green or blue in colour. Sold in dealers shops, Towsure etc.

Good luck. JTS.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Colin,

It is not just the hose its self, the fittings used should be food grade also, In particular the yellow colouring used in some plastics is created from Cadmium which is highly toxic. Those fittings sold for 'Potable' water should meet the necessary safety guidelines.

Nov 19, 2007
Visit site
Thanks both of you -I will be changing all our pipes and fittings on Monday. With nearly every caravan coming on this site using the well known brand of yellow connector it shows how few people know this. Thank you once again.

Colin.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Yes as above, thats correct.

However i have always used my garden hose, green type in the last house, now the yellow type in the house we now live.

With no side effects.

G

There are obviously possible issues with the hose, but also remember the water tank itself. It will sit with water probably (ok, hopefully) in the sun, and all kinds of bacteria can develope. Also the pipes in your van are likely to be left over the winter with probably small amounts of water in them.

So, the point I am making is that it is not just the hose that could be an issue.

Many people including us, do not use the water in the tanks for anything apart from washing. We use a 5 litre water bottle from a supermarket and fill that directly from the site tap. That is our drinking water and cooking supply. It gets changed daily so the risk is minimal, and in most cases the water used is subsquently boiled.

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi colin

in my local caravan shop they sell water fill up tubes which are food grade and only cost about a fiver if that

it would be worth having a look

hgv dave

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
jts

yes thats right, nor with leaving the fiter in 4 years, but i will attempt to remove it this year, if i can grow longer arms!

Been using a garden hose for 27 years with as yet no side effects.

Obviuosly i dont recommend it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am at a loss as to understand why, that some people who acknowledge that a particular practice is either illegal or unsafe, yet they have need to tell us about it?

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"I am at a loss as to understand why, that some people who acknowledge that a particular practice is either illegal or unsafe, yet they have need to tell us about it?"

Could be the long term effect of using a garden hose or maybe not changing the filter? Wink wink

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The house where I grew up as a boy had lead pipes for the mains water. No wonder I feel heavy! LOL.

We're talking pennies to buy the real proper safe stuff, relatively speaaking!!

Cheers

Dustydog

G

Not so long ago Glasgow obtained most of its drinking water from a loch in the Trossachs, and had been doing so for many many years. The water was piped straight to the houses. Then somebody noticed that the fields beside the loch were always full of sheep and their waste products ended up in the water.

Rapid re-think and filter unit installed before the EU guys arrived.

And everybody said the water tasted lovely???

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Come on chaps....

I don't think using a bit of hose is going to do anyone any harm... maybe if you were chewing bits of it....

Remember - if you live in a Victorian house, there's a good chance you still have some lead piping around - especially where the water enters the house.

Also - bear in mind that 99% of us have amalgam fillings in our heads that are made from mercury....which, the last time I heard, is about as poisonous as you can get!

A bit of hose isn't going to affect anyone. Or the fittings.

Mac

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Seems alot of fuss about a short piece of hose that will have minimal exposure to any leaching effects of the wtare being drawn off. For the really 'risk averse' don't forget to run the cold water taps at home for 30-60 seconds when you come back after your hols, otherwise you might run the risk of copper contamination from the in-house water pipes. This will reduce as your pipes get older due to a protective lining buiding up, but do watch out though if your water supply is acidic as not only will the copper leach out but the radon might get you as you delve under the cupboards looking to see if you have copper pipes. EPA website a mine of info.

Cheers

Other Clive

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
An example of how a short piece of pipe can affect the water run through it.

You may have read the 'Bailey tasty water' topics a year or so back.

This was where tap water run through the pipes in some new Bailey caravans strongly tasted and even smelt of TCP. This happened even when water was continuously flushed through so the water only had contact with the pipe for 5 maybe 10 seconds.

I understand that this was Fluoride in the water reacting with the pipe lining.

If water can pick up taste and smell that strong in a few seconds I'd be concerned about anything more sinister.

As per Scotch Lad - We don't drink from caravan taps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts