care all forms of

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I have just signed up for free which just to check whats what for a month
I noticed they have info on Relatives needs, housing options, financial care and carers. Should the worst happen.

Not wishing to upset anyone we had this problem with hubbys mother and recently hubby friend who gone now.

But if you need care and the social service come calling they love to do an assesment.. on you.
1. So you lived in a council house all your life, all repairs done everthing taken care of you now only have a pension but no property assets.
Care home is free and they have your pension and you get meagre pittance spending money back

2. You have lived in your own property you have the upkeep of all maintenance so financially always spending every year.
care home you have to pay until all money is gone then pension taken off you and your given a meagre pittance for spending money..

Does this mean we have to keep every receipt we spend on the propety to off set loosing house?

I may have goofed this in my reasoning a bit so don't bark at me please... but just wanted your views as it is a scarry thought. But one that seems to be at the fore front quite a bit, your views?

To our nice mods who will read this and who may think not a proper subject that's fine I was just wondering xx

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
smiley said:
Hi

I have just signed up for free which just to check whats what for a month
I noticed they have info on Relatives needs, housing options, financial care and carers. Should the worst happen.

Not wishing to upset anyone we had this problem with hubbys mother and recently hubby friend who gone now.

But if you need care and the social service come calling they love to do an assesment.. on you.
1. So you lived in a council house all your life, all repairs done everthing taken care of you now only have a pension but no property assets.
Care home is free and they have your pension and you get meagre pittance spending money back

2. You have lived in your own property you have the upkeep of all maintenance so financially always spending every year.
care home you have to pay until all money is gone then pension taken off you and your given a meagre pittance for spending money..

Does this mean we have to keep every receipt we spend on the propety to off set loosing house?

I may have goofed this in my reasoning a bit so don't bark at me please... but just wanted your views as it is a scarry thought. But one that seems to be at the fore front quite a bit, your views?

To our nice mods who will read this and who may think not a proper subject that's fine I was just wondering xx

It's a complex topic but basically if you have more than £23k all care costs fall to you. Below £23k the state will progressively assist until you are down to £6k. Thats enough for your funeral. As opposed to care any nursing element should be state funded, but clinical commissioning groups are notorious for refusing to fund nursing elements until it is so blindingly obvious that nursing is required. You can appeal of course but your relatives may still be fighting your appeal long after you have gone. It is now becoming more common place for care homes to ask for top up fees even for state funded residents as the state isn't paying enough. If you don't/cant pay these fees you may be placed in somewhere not all that convenient for people to visit, or not very nice. If you loose mental capacity and haven't made a Lasting Power of Attorney it is neigh on impossible for relatives or solicitor to access your funds to pay for care until arrangements are in place. So short term loans may be required for up to 3-4 months and looking at £750-£1000 per week without nursing care. And yes property is taken into account and may have to be sold especially if you are the only resident.
Don't think that money can be easily given away these days as councils are very sharp on tracking large cash withdrawals and seeing where they go to. If they suspect you have moved money across to children or relatives they can withhold financial support until the difference is made up or ask you to recoup the money.

If paying for yourself you will still receive state pension and attendance allowance, but these are reduced progressively as the state takes a larger share of the costs.

Lots of good information on AgeUK website and good telephone helpline.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " To our nice mods who will read this and who may think not a proper subject that's fine I was just wondering xx""

Absolutely nothing wrong with bringing this topic up as it will affect just about everyone in time.

Otherclive is right,it is a very complex subject, but in simple terms the Government (in whatever form you like including Councils) will do everything in their power to take all your money away from you as quickly as possible.

The "care" (and I use that word in the loosest sense of the word) homes in my area are charging over £1000 per week, at least those which the CQC have not shut down due to disgusting practices, or more precise, NO CARE.

I dread to think what will happen to me if I am forced to go into a so called "care" home, I can only hope that I have such dementure that I do not know who I am or where I am.
I do know that I will never place my wife in one, I would rather look after her myself and let her pass away in her own surroundings, in comfort and with people she loves and love her.
As for me, if capable I would go to Dignitas and end my life there, on my terms.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:

The "care" (and I use that word in the loosest sense of the word) homes in my area are charging over £1000 per week, at least those which the CQC have not shut down due to disgusting practices, or more precise, NO CARE.

I dread to think what will happen to me if I am forced to go into a so called "care" home, I can only hope that I have such dementure that I do not know who I am or where I am.
I do know that I will never place my wife in one, I would rather look after her myself and let her pass away in her own surroundings, in comfort and with people she loves and love her.
As for me, if capable I would go to Dignitas and end my life there, on my terms.

Just a couple of comments regarding Care Homes. For anyone who isn’t aware, full inspection reports on all care homes can be found on the CQC website. Up here in Scotland it’s called the Care Inspectorate but basically the same idea.
I’ve been a registered nurse since the early 1980s, worked in NHS settings, also worked as an inspector with the Care Inspectorate and also worked in private care homes. I would say there are far more good care care homes than there are poor ones. It’s the not so good ones that make the newspaper headlines, good practices don’t sell papers. Always room for improvement though.
If someone close to you does need to go into care I would advise you to have a read through the inspection reports on either the CQC or CI website, plus, if possible, seek recommendations from those who have relatives in whatever care home you are considering.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Robtel said:
Damian-Moderator said:

Just a couple of comments regarding Care Homes. For anyone who isn’t aware, full inspection reports on all care homes can be found on the CQC website. Up here in Scotland it’s called the Care Inspectorate but basically the same idea.
I’ve been a registered nurse since the early 1980s, worked in NHS settings, also worked as an inspector with the Care Inspectorate and also worked in private care homes. I would say there are far more good care care homes than there are poor ones. It’s the not so good ones that make the newspaper headlines, good practices don’t sell papers. Always room for improvement though.
If someone close to you does need to go into care I would advise you to have a read through the inspection reports on either the CQC or CI website, plus, if possible, seek recommendations from those who have relatives in whatever care home you are considering.

I agree with your comments. My daughter works for Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Trust and is regularly visiting care homes where their patients have been placed. And her comments mirror yours. I’ve recently had to place my father in a home which got a recent good CQC report and I have spoken to some who have had relatives/spouses resident there. During my visits to the home some of which have lasted up to five hours I have been impressed with the way business has been carried out. I am even offered meals if I am around at meal times and Fridays fish chips and mushies are spot on. They even rang me at 0015 one night to tell me Dad had had dizzy spells late that evening. Would have preferred him not to have gone into a home but c’est la vie.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lets not get sidetracked into the merits of care homes.

The post is about the money and assets side of things when someone does have to go into care, not the care itself.

I know, it was me that started that bit.
I actually fully agree that there are good homes around, and I am sure that they charge a lot for that care.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:

The post is about the money and assets side of things when someone does have to go into care, not the care itself.

I actually fully agree that there are good homes around, and I am sure that they charge a lot for that care.

The money side of the topic is a crucial aspect but that's just one part of a complex topic which I feel is better left to websites and forums that can give comprehensive and accurate information. A caravan forum is not the right place and since I've responded to the OP that's me "Out".

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Damian-Moderator said:

The money side of the topic is a crucial aspect but that's just one part of a complex topic which I feel is better left to websites and forums that can give comprehensive and accurate information. A caravan forum is not the right place and since I've responded to the OP that's me "Out".

Correct. I would go even further and say seek advice from the likes of a lawyer regarding matters of disposing of property. You might think that because you gave your house to your family a couple of years ago, it can’t be touched. There are time frames and they can go back quite a few years ( seven springs to mind but been a while since I delved into the finer details.). Forums are good but not all advice passed on, mostly with the best of intentions, is accurate. Seek professional advice..
Like Other Clive, I’m out also

Jul 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi Smiley,
When you say that you've "I have just signed up", where or how did you do this?
I find this whole subject completely confusing, and a bit of clarification would be a great help.
We're not, at the moment, in a needy position, but who knows what the future may bring. Being prepared can only be a good idea,

(We have two sets of friends whose mother has alzheimers, who are currently in the throes of having to pay extortionately, and sort out some kind of finance while doing so. It is NOT funny).

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
as otherclive says get power of attorney set up now and when the time comes you activate it..

It is a must and more than one person can be on it. the more the better. I did have this first hand and witnessed the underhand way things are done..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
smiley said:
as otherclive says get power of attorney set up now and when the time comes you activate it..

It is a must and more than one person can be on it. the more the better. I did have this first hand and witnessed the underhand way things are done..

What do you mean by underhand way things are done?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts