Carrying Kayaks on a Coachbuilt Motorhome

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
We are starting to think about buying a motorhome and a key consideration is to be able to carry two kayaks on the roof (total weight of kayaks around 50Kg).

Although it is early days we are looking at coachbuilt rather than campervan (hope my terminology makes sense) and therefore was looking for advice regarding roofbars etc.

Cheers

Martin

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Would not advise a motor home for carrying kayaks on the roof, my reason is that although most motor home roofs are built to withstand walking on, this only means occasional, not every time the van is used. I had a customer who had kayaks and was up on his roof every day either checking the straps or loading /unloading. Consequently he had trouble with roof and rooflight seals always leaking.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a rack on the back of van, IE like a bike rack adapted? If you are thinking of putting on roof, you would need a van with a ladder on the back, to access . Also remember that most couchbuilt vans are almost 3 mtr high, and with boats on roof would add to height, so need to be careful of low bridges. We know we have sat dome on ours and it puts us over 3 mtr, and have had some scary moments

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
they are sea kayaks - about 15 feet long - so putting at back not an option.

We would probably have to go for a Kari-Tek carrier which slides down the side, meaning you don't Height could well be an issue though - probably looking at around 3.3 m to top of kayaks! How much will this restrict us - is there an easy way to find out maximum heights for a route?

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
We use a Garmin 760 which is programmed with the width, height and length of our MH !

We have an escape 686, an overcab model, 2.9 m high without TV aerial

Speaking to our MH engineer he recounted a case of a roof rack on a coach built which overloaded the mounts and caused a leak causing hugs damage.

What with solar panels, TV aerial and roof lights that you may find. On a typical van, you may struggle to fit a couple of kayaks on.

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I drive a hymer 644 and carry kayaks have done all over the UK and Europe for years, my business is selling kayaks www.WWC.Co.UK

We have fitted roof bars for lots of customers on to motorhomes for canoes and kayaks of all types, we use zolzer bars and fitting from Germany they are bomb proof and low profile

But if needed can be raised to accommodate hatches etc.

I have never had a height issue other than a couple of low fuel stations in the sticks.

Regards Mogz

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I drive a hymer 644 and carry kayaks have done all over the UK and Europe for years, my business is selling kayaks www.WWC.Co.UK

We have fitted roof bars for lots of customers on to motorhomes for canoes and kayaks of all types, we use zolzer bars and fitting from Germany they are bomb proof and low profile

But if needed can be raised to accommodate hatches etc.

I have never had a height issue other than a couple of low fuel stations in the sticks.

Regards Mogz

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi Mogz

Thanks for that, we may well seek your services when we eventually get buy something. I was thinking we might go for the Karri-Tek high lift bars to make it easier to get the kayaks on and off, have you used those?

We have paddled over at St Davids a few times, you are very lucky living so close to a wonderful stretch of coastline.

Cheers

Martin

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
Have you been over the Bitches in full flow ? Been over them in a tourist power boat (cheat) but not a kayak. Then around Ramsey. Lovely place.

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
rayjsj said:
Have you been over the Bitches in full flow ? Been over them in a tourist power boat (cheat) but not a kayak. Then around Ramsey. Lovely place.

Funnily enough went over them in a tourist rib in the Summer, amazing sight but way beyond our current kayaking skills. Kayaked quite a lot around that area this year and have been down Ramsey Sound but made sure we kept well away from the bitches. One of friends got a bit too near in August and got caught in one of the many whirlpools that form around there - ended up in the water spinning round and round and was rescued by a rib in the end!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts