carver 2 ge cuts out on gas

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
We have just bought a 1998 petrol autohomes wanderer great condition but one or two niggles we are slowly ironing out. current issue is the boiler. It wont work on mains, appears to be the element. As soon as I switch the wall switch it trips the consumer panel switch. Not over concerned with that as we have gas. However, this lights ok after tapping on the switch a few times (unsure if something is loose inside). The green light then remains on and the gas has a good flame until I turn the water tap on then it trips off. No other lights come on it just goes off. It can be on for any length of time until the tap is opened. The tank is full already checked that, the battery is showing 12.5v. If i hook it up so it still uses gas and 12v supply with zig charger attached it works fine. Ps battery is 110 aph and brandnew. so now I am scratching my head. Any ideas before I replace the boiler or switch. Thanks.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The very best person to talk to is Gary at Arc Systems.
He will be able to give you all the help and information, as well as repair anything that is wrong with the Cascade

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi scampavan,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for reposting this in the correct area. To avoid confusion you should be able to edit your post in New Members to remove the detail so you don't get posts in both headings.

Now to your problem, I don't have the answer, but I can explain the Cascade 2 water heater should not interact with the pump switch, so that suggests to a number of possibilities.

First of all the Cascade will look for a minimum voltage of about 10.5V. if the supply drops below that it will lock out, and require you to restart it.

This would fit your symptoms if the 12V supply was limited in some way, for example if there is a high resistance contact or joint somewhere in the 12V system, so that when the pump turns on, it drags down the supply voltage causing the heater to cut out.

This could also happen if the pump has started using more current than it should. You get an idea if this the case if you have a 12V light on, and turn the pump on, if the light dims significantly then it shows the pump is using a lot of current.

You can get a similar effect if the 12V system is switched so the battery is off and its relying on the mains converter to supply all the power. _ you can easily check if this is the case, by turning on the heater, then disconnecting the mains supply cable from the motor home. If the heater stops - then the battery is not actually connecting - it could be a switch position of it might be a fuse in the battery lead that has blown.

These are not the only possibilities, but it is at least a start.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts