Carver Cascade 2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi All, I'm very new to this as bought our first caravan on Saturday to give it a try, we have a 1990 Swift Baronette with only 2 previous owners and in nice condition for its age, everything works perfectly except the Carver Water Heater on mains hook up. I have original instructions which cover the Carver Cascade 2 & Cascade 2 GE so I'm not sure which it is but it doesn't have the reset button for thermostat so hope that helps. The thermostat is held in by 2 screws on an oval plate. It works perfectly on Gas but will not heat up using mains. The heater switch works fine and I have tested thermostat and have a current on Brown and Blue wires so I am assuming that's correct. When I do the same with element connections I only have current on Brown Wire and nothing on Blue Wire. We were hoping to use it next weekend so really need to sort this asap if anyone could please help.
Thanks for any help received
Andy

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Before you go too much further, make sure that the supply cable is properly connected. The cable connection is the same as the old style electric kettle , it plugs in about half way down on the right hand side as you look down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With respect Turbo, your talking about a 99/2000 model, until then they were hard wired!

So 1990 was the original year the cascade had the 240v heating option, these early models only had one thermostat to control the temperature, if then that stat failed, there was a 'fusible link' to protect from overheating.

I'd expect then you have a blue and brown wire disappearing down a hole? if so and using a meter, check you have a circuit between blue and brown, if not, I still have one or two new ones available.

PS, while your at it, check you have, give or take, 84ohms between the two element pins

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi Gary, thanks for your time. Don't understand what you mean by blue and brown disappearing down a hole as my electrical connections are all at front behind a white panel. Its exactly the same as this item on eBay as thermostat is held in place by 2 screws in an oval plate.

Update: I have tested element properly today and it's definitely not working so need a replacement but not sure which I need as still not sure which Cascade 2 I have so can anyone enlighten me so I buy correct part.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
sorry to be slow getting back.
So you have two thermostats then?, original early ones had only one and a thermal fuse, hence my reference to a hole drilled in the element where the fuse lived!

Other than that and up to 97 the element was 630watt and slightly smaller that the later 850w 'rapide' element, clue is fuse rating on white plastic cover, 3Amp for 630w and 5A for 850w

So not 'identical' because thats a Henry 930w copy shown on ebay but still fits direct if 97 and on. However the elements hole in the tank of earlier models will need increasing slighly by 0.5mm all the way round for it to fit, plus, the bolt holes in the larger element slotted inward 0.5mm to line up with the tanks bolt holes, finally, seal tanks bare edge with 2 pack epoxy glue and change the fuse to 5A

Edit; just reread your last post and it appears you do have an identical element? in which case you either have a complete Henry replacement water heater, or just and element?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andy,

I was rather concerned with your posting about the Cascade, as your terminology showed you do not understand electrics circuits. I suspect you are mixing up measuring voltages and currents, and interpreting the results.

The best thing is to follow Gary's advice to the letter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts