Carver heating problem

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have owned a 1995 Bailey Magenta for 4 years and have covered over 4800 trouble free miles with it .....until now. Before I reluctantly send it to a dealer, I would like to know if anyone, with any make of caravan has had this problem. The 2 heating elements on the Carver 3000 heater dont work. Its stange that BOTH elements have failed. The fuse is ok. The trip switch on the heater has not popped out. The thermostat is ok. Everything else works fine. The gas side of the system works a treat. We would like to go away during next months school half term, so I would like it sorted by then if possible. Are there any sites outside London with a good park and ride nearby? I know thats not a technical problem but I thought, while I am here.......

Please help.

Jim (cant fix it!)

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Jim, Mikes wife here

Your heater problem sounds a tad similar to ours. Gas fine, fan fine but nothing from either of the elements on the electric side. Hubby spent about 3 hours with his mains tester following bits of wiring around the van fiddling with fuses, muttering and cursing, trying to get the heater out of its hole to no avail. Finally using a mirror to peer down the back of the heater he realised that the electric fitting into the heater has loosened. Pushing it fully home it all worked. The plug thingy is right at the bottom of the heater at the back and difficult to see and get hold of. Anyway try it you never know your luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi there Jim, Mikes wife here

Your heater problem sounds a tad similar to ours. Gas fine, fan fine but nothing from either of the elements on the electric side. Hubby spent about 3 hours with his mains tester following bits of wiring around the van fiddling with fuses, muttering and cursing, trying to get the heater out of its hole to no avail. Finally using a mirror to peer down the back of the heater he realised that the electric fitting into the heater has loosened. Pushing it fully home it all worked. The plug thingy is right at the bottom of the heater at the back and difficult to see and get hold of. Anyway try it you never know your luck.
Hi Mike's wife. Thanks for the quick reply about the heating problem. I will look at the plug thingy on Thursday night, but knowing my luck, it wont be anything so simple as a loose plug.... but you never know... If it is that, I will be so grateful, that I may marry you! haha! (Just my little joke)

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First Mike (with the hubby?) has the Carver fanmaster mk2 and indeed it is a common problem for the 'kettle plug' to come loose. An early mod was to mould an 'eye' into the case to allow the plug to be fixed in position by using a cable tie. To get round this on early mk2's without the eye, a small self adhesive pad designed to be used with cable ties can be used.

Sadly this will not be Jim's problem as his is the mk1 and is hard wired, it is also true to say the elements will not be the problem as they never go wrong in themselves.

You say everything else works Jim which I presume means the fan is working?. So first the trip switch if indeed yours is fitted with one? and unless you have actually seen it, this model could be fitted with a thermal 'one shot' fuse instead. This was fitted to the first batches of the mk1 and although often replaced with the reset switch by now, is a fuse within the mains wire to the control board and is clipped to the top element as it passes by. If indeed yours is fitted with the reset switch then have you checked that it is actually making the connection and not assuming it has because you have pressed the button?.

You say it's been to the dealers so if they have had a go just check the wires to the control board and the elements are correctly wired, particularly the two brown ones.

It's also worth mentioning that the heating will not switch on if the temperature control knob is set to it's lowest position!!.

In general though this problem is caused by a control board fault which invariable means the fan will not work either.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First Mike (with the hubby?) has the Carver fanmaster mk2 and indeed it is a common problem for the 'kettle plug' to come loose. An early mod was to mould an 'eye' into the case to allow the plug to be fixed in position by using a cable tie. To get round this on early mk2's without the eye, a small self adhesive pad designed to be used with cable ties can be used.

Sadly this will not be Jim's problem as his is the mk1 and is hard wired, it is also true to say the elements will not be the problem as they never go wrong in themselves.

You say everything else works Jim which I presume means the fan is working?. So first the trip switch if indeed yours is fitted with one? and unless you have actually seen it, this model could be fitted with a thermal 'one shot' fuse instead. This was fitted to the first batches of the mk1 and although often replaced with the reset switch by now, is a fuse within the mains wire to the control board and is clipped to the top element as it passes by. If indeed yours is fitted with the reset switch then have you checked that it is actually making the connection and not assuming it has because you have pressed the button?.

You say it's been to the dealers so if they have had a go just check the wires to the control board and the elements are correctly wired, particularly the two brown ones.

It's also worth mentioning that the heating will not switch on if the temperature control knob is set to it's lowest position!!.

In general though this problem is caused by a control board fault which invariable means the fan will not work either.
This Carver problem is gonna be a real headache, me thinks! Why oh why did I sell my beloved Dandy 6?. In the 17 years I owned it, I only had to replace a micro switch, water pump and brake shoes once... and it had a real and comfy, already made up double bed! Oh well! At least the Bailey has got a bigger shower cubicle than the one at home. Thanks for the replies I have up to now. if I dont sort it, I will take it to Widnes Caravans, in... er! ......Widnes.

Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This Carver problem is gonna be a real headache, me thinks! Why oh why did I sell my beloved Dandy 6?. In the 17 years I owned it, I only had to replace a micro switch, water pump and brake shoes once... and it had a real and comfy, already made up double bed! Oh well! At least the Bailey has got a bigger shower cubicle than the one at home. Thanks for the replies I have up to now. if I dont sort it, I will take it to Widnes Caravans, in... er! ......Widnes.

Jim
Not at all the system is straight forward and easy to put right, if you or your local repairers are in any doubt don't hesitate to get in touch

Gary

www.arcsystems.biz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts