Carver Water Heater Mk2

Sep 16, 2005
Visit site
The Carver water heater in my Bailey Pageant Auvergne 2000 has the following fault condition:

After pressing the on button the green light comes on and then after around 15 seconds the red light also comes on.

I have tried relighting several times in case there is air in the system, but problem still there. Also, I have checked all the wiring to/from the switch and its OK.

Before the red light comes on I can hear the ignition sparking but there is no gas solenoid clunk. I presume therefore that the solenoid is not working.

Is it a fairly easy task to replace the solenoid. I am quite competent at mechanical and electrical repairs.

Thanks

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tony,

The fact that it takes about 15 seconds before the red LED lights shows that the control circuit in the heater is not detecting a flame. This is confirmed by the continuing spark ignition. I assume you have turned the gas on?

The lack of the clunk does strongly support a solenoid failure, or the valve has seized.

Sadly the solenoid is not available as a spare it has to be purchased as part of the burner control module. The BCM is easily replaced.

The gas regulations require that all installation, service or repairs to domestic gas appliances must be carried out by a CORGI registered fitter.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a suggestion,,as I have done this myself, have you removed the vent cover from the outside of the van before lighting the water heater? If not, then about 15 seconds from starting, it switches off,,as it is a safety feature.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a suggestion,,as I have done this myself, have you removed the vent cover from the outside of the van before lighting the water heater? If not, then about 15 seconds from starting, it switches off,,as it is a safety feature.
Damien the Carver does not have a vent cover. but thanks for the thought.

Sep 16, 2005
Visit site
Thanks John

Yes the gas is on.

Thanks for your note about having to be Corgi registered to change the burner unit. Does this mean that it would illegal for me to do the work?

Thanks

Tony

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks John

Yes the gas is on.

Thanks for your note about having to be Corgi registered to change the burner unit. Does this mean that it would illegal for me to do the work?

Thanks

Tony
HEllo Tony

I was being very carefull about what I stated, And I admit I was being a little lean on the truth. Domestic gas appliances must be instaleld serviced, repaired (and removed!)by Corgi fitters that is law, what I didnt' say was that touring caravan are actually exempt from that aspect of the regulations, though heavens knows why, because I used to work in the industry, and latterly I have had to report on appliances where incidents have occured - sadly some were fatal.

It is sad fact that in most of the cases, the appliance was either being incorrectly used, poorly maintained, or in two noteable cases has been installed incorrectly or modified by the owner, leading to the production of Carbon Monoxide inside the caravan.

I am waging a little unofficial campaign to encourage caravaners to use Corgi registerd fitters for all gas work. It makes additional sence. Although a GORGI registered fitter is not required for touring caravans, it is still the case that the regulations require a competent person to do the work. Failure to to so is a Health and Safety issue and as such is classed as a criminal offence.

A DIYer can easily fall foul of some of the more obscure issues, and some insurance companies may refuse to pay claims if gas work has been performed by unqualified persons - especially if the claim is for fire damage.

A registerd fitter will carry insurance if anything goes wrong.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony...if your sure you have gas up to the heater then it's your module.Contrary to what some say you can work on your vans gas system yourself,you don't have to be Corgi registered most caravans fitters have a gas qualification that resticts them to only working on touring caravans i did mine with NGST ltd.you only need to be "a conpetent person" to work on your own van but nobody else can work on it unless they are qualified.

Mike.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HEllo Tony

I was being very carefull about what I stated, And I admit I was being a little lean on the truth. Domestic gas appliances must be instaleld serviced, repaired (and removed!)by Corgi fitters that is law, what I didnt' say was that touring caravan are actually exempt from that aspect of the regulations, though heavens knows why, because I used to work in the industry, and latterly I have had to report on appliances where incidents have occured - sadly some were fatal.

It is sad fact that in most of the cases, the appliance was either being incorrectly used, poorly maintained, or in two noteable cases has been installed incorrectly or modified by the owner, leading to the production of Carbon Monoxide inside the caravan.

I am waging a little unofficial campaign to encourage caravaners to use Corgi registerd fitters for all gas work. It makes additional sence. Although a GORGI registered fitter is not required for touring caravans, it is still the case that the regulations require a competent person to do the work. Failure to to so is a Health and Safety issue and as such is classed as a criminal offence.

A DIYer can easily fall foul of some of the more obscure issues, and some insurance companies may refuse to pay claims if gas work has been performed by unqualified persons - especially if the claim is for fire damage.

A registerd fitter will carry insurance if anything goes wrong.
I will start by saying that John's sentiments are hard to argue with, this being reinforced by putting right a gas leak caused by a DIYer's stupidity only this weekend!.

The problem I have with regard to this specific repair is with two facts.

1, the current suppliers of Carver spares as did Carver, will provide that spare to anyone that asks...albeit through one of their agents.

2, the part in question ie the 'burner module' is so designed that it is virtually impossible to fit incorrectly, at least as far as the gas connection is concerned...and I won't speak of anything else John?

What worries me thought is the blanket statement to use a CORGI guy which can be misleading.

CORGI covers many different fields within the general category of 'gas' and at the least should be LPG for caravans while most are only registered for 'natural' gas. Worse even less while covered for LPG will understand at least fully the differences between domestic type equipment and that used in caravans...put simply, the difference between a turbo charged car engine and that of a lawnmower!!!

As I said, while I don't argue with the sentiment I would say 'A competent person' to do the work would be a better statement and still drive the point home that gas is not to be messed with

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts