Cats that go caravanning

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Prompted by the pets thread I thought I would post this:

We would love to take our two elderly cats caravanning with us, to avoid arranging a sitter for them. I knew someone who did this with one cat with no problems, but in a static. However, I would like to hear from someone about how they manage this in a tourer, please. Sensible replies only, please.

We know one of our cats wouldnt stray far from the cat food tins, but the other one once did a bunk from a friends porch when we took him for the weekend. I have thought about a couple of harnesses and leads ... but o/h refuses to walk a cat.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi alyson our freinds took there cat with them last year to spain no problems they allways take wereevere they go and a lady we were on site with had her cat and dog with her she's been doing it for years and she was in a small campervan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi alyson our freinds took there cat with them last year to spain no problems they allways take wereevere they go and a lady we were on site with had her cat and dog with her she's been doing it for years and she was in a small campervan
seen a family who had a pet kitten with them in the lake district they had put a high visabilty collar on the cat @ least ya o/h just has to look for the collar then call it (no walkies for him).

Aug 9, 2005
Visit site
seen a family who had a pet kitten with them in the lake district they had put a high visabilty collar on the cat @ least ya o/h just has to look for the collar then call it (no walkies for him).

I have seen many cat's wearing a harness, on site, and yes the male species have been in charge.why worry cat, dog, still a pet that needs walking, much better than losing them.

Shiba.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From personal experience the main problem will be getting an older cat to wear a harness. As a precaution wear thick gauntlets - and be ready for odd comments from other people. Saw three harnessed cats while abroad this year so it is possible.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When we were caravaning at Tantallon caravan park,North Berwick,I saw a pet rabbit sitting looking out of the caravan.......honest.....no drink involved.

I used to take my cat on the train,years ago before i had a car.I used a cat harness she loved it......so did all the commuters.good luck.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We have not only witnessed cats and dogs on caravan sites. We seen ferrets, mice, budgies - and no we weren't drunk! Anything goes, it seems when taking your home along with you!

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I see many cats these days wearing collars. If your cat is used to wearing one I doubt that you will have any problems - just attach a light lead and see how it reacts at home, before taking it away into new surroundings. Its worth a try.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a little cat that seems to know we are going away when the caravan is being packed up. Evicted her numerous times last Friday from the van, then she sulked big style when I cuddled her goodbye..... Would so love to take that cat along but fear I should lose her. Maybe when she is an old moggie, and just wants to sit in the sun inside the van.........

Aug 1, 2005
Visit site
Ramblingrose, youre like me, but our cats are oldies and like to sleep all the time. But I would still be mortified if I lost one. Ann, on the collar idea, cats collars are too soft (and elasticated) really to attach a lead to, the cat would just slip the collar, they are so adept at this. You need a harness really. One of our cats removes his collar on a regular basis. The other one has never lost one, but I would still try a harness. I am really tempted, to try just for a weekend. I think if we keep the heat on in the van and supply plenty of tuna we might be on to a winner. The downside is the litter tray. Ideally this would go in the awning, but I think they would find a way out of an awning easily.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Thank alyson for putting me right on the cat collar. I must admit I don't know very much about cats, but I guess that if you try to fix a halter to a full grown cat you might expect problems with claws. Our neighbour doesn't advocate collars on cats at all (she rescues them and has 6 at the moment!) as they can become tangled in trees and undergrowth whilst out preditoring. Is it natural for a cat to be fastened up at all I ask myself.

Dogs are used to collars/harness from being pups so vanning doesn't cause them problems thank goodness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts