Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
As a doggy bloke, that is doggy not dodgy, it grieves me to admit that fuure plans for longer term touring means it would be unfair, on both my wallet and the animal concerned, to continue to employ the services of our local cattery.

Me, I'm quite happy to put myself out and find a new home for the bewhiskered bird murderer that currently shares our home, but she whose happiness is my lifes goal thinks otherwise.

so, has anyone got any advice for caravanning with a cat! If you do not have any good advice monstrously exagerated stories that might convince Mrs Barking it aint a good idea are equal wellcome.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
As Bill said to Monica suck it and see !!!

We have one cat who you would take any place in the world. We also have one you wouldn't take any place even to Wales !!!

---))))

Frank

Sep 16, 2006
Visit site
It's bad enough tripping over the cat at home let alone in a smaller space like a caravan

We're lucky we got an old house cat that sleeps, eats and sleeps and if she goes out into the garden she'll be back in the house within 30 seconds. So when we go away the neighbour pops in daily or if they are away over the weekend we have one of these cat feeders that put down 2/3 days food on a timer (not cheap it cost about

May 5, 2005
Visit site
we use a multi feeder and leave the pond pump running the cat loves dirty water like I love Stella,walks past a nice clean bowl of water.It does them good to have a day without food anyway

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
We currently use auto feeder/neighbor when we are away, but when I say we will be out for extended periods I am talking months rather than weeks and so attempting to get her used to a romahome is the only 'keeping her' option.

We currently live near a canal where many of the boats are permanent livaboards and have cats - so it can be done.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately our boon companion cat is no long with us but we enjoyed many years of UK touring in her company.

Ideally you need van with seperate shower compartment for which you construct a false floor from plywood and suface it with linoleum. Add a raised edge. This tray supports both litter tray and food tray, and any sensible cat will soon learn the trick of hooking the door open, providing you prevent it from shutting all the way onto the mag. catch with, say, a clothes peg.

For travel and sleeping, get a reasobaly sized pet carrier - the plastic type which split along the centre line and have a removable grid in front are best. Equip this with a suitable sleeping mat and get the cat to use it at home. then for travel, put cat in carrier with grill fitted, and place on back seat of car with front facing forward - secure with centre rear seat belt. On site, place whereever is convenient and remove the grill - puss will soon get fdt up with TV and retire to familiar surroundings.

For exercise, equip the cat with a harness - NOT just a collar - and a short lead and you will find it more or less easy to take short walks - meeting lots of covert cat lovers in the process. Cat can be staked out using a suitable spike to hold one end of the lead. Use deodourising cat litter in the tray. Trial and error with cat food will show you which tends to produce the lowest "scented" emmissions !

Depending on the cat, dogs on site can be a bit of a problem, but cat will often prefer to sit in the window and watch, rather than risk their company.

Not only did we enjoy the company of our cat, but we have also made several friends who also had / have caravanning cats. Give it a go !

We had several hundred

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Previous posting seems to have got shortened - a cat-hating Moderator ?

Anyway, we had several hundred touring nights with our cat and have now several other friends who had / have caravanning cats, so give it a go.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We have our 4 Yorkshire terriers and the moggie with us when go caravanning. When we get to a site, she has a sniff around and then disappears back into the caravan to curl up on the bed and have a sleep and wait for us to feed her.

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Unfortunately our boon companion cat is no long with us but we enjoyed many years of UK touring in her company.

Ideally you need van with seperate shower compartment for which you construct a false floor from plywood and suface it with linoleum. Add a raised edge. This tray supports both litter tray and food tray, and any sensible cat will soon learn the trick of hooking the door open, providing you prevent it from shutting all the way onto the mag. catch with, say, a clothes peg.

For travel and sleeping, get a reasobaly sized pet carrier - the plastic type which split along the centre line and have a removable grid in front are best. Equip this with a suitable sleeping mat and get the cat to use it at home. then for travel, put cat in carrier with grill fitted, and place on back seat of car with front facing forward - secure with centre rear seat belt. On site, place whereever is convenient and remove the grill - puss will soon get fdt up with TV and retire to familiar surroundings.

For exercise, equip the cat with a harness - NOT just a collar - and a short lead and you will find it more or less easy to take short walks - meeting lots of covert cat lovers in the process. Cat can be staked out using a suitable spike to hold one end of the lead. Use deodourising cat litter in the tray. Trial and error with cat food will show you which tends to produce the lowest "scented" emmissions !

Depending on the cat, dogs on site can be a bit of a problem, but cat will often prefer to sit in the window and watch, rather than risk their company.

Not only did we enjoy the company of our cat, but we have also made several friends who also had / have caravanning cats. Give it a go !

We had several hundred
Lots of food for thought there Ray, Thanks

Oct 19, 2005
Visit site
Previous posting seems to have got shortened - a cat-hating Moderator ?

Anyway, we had several hundred touring nights with our cat and have now several other friends who had / have caravanning cats, so give it a go.
Ray, I have looked at your original posting on the editing site and it just finishes as it is printed.

There has been no modification to it, by us anyway.

Personally, as a note, we have 4 cats as well as the dogs,no thats 5 now with daughter moving back home with her cat.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts