CC Site near Perranporth.

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Just spent 2 weeks at Treamble Valley. Although i had no complaints, others did.

I was lucky enough to get on a hardstanding pitch, but speaking to others on grass pitches, they were having problems with the ground being very soft.

I watched some vans having to be towed out with a tractor.

The weather was quite dry while i was there, so it is improving.

The wardens were closing some pitches, because of the wetness, so pitches were at a premium.

Regards, Mike

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Mike,

We are due there in mid August, any tips etc would be good. Is there an arrival area?, the book says not. Any pitches to avoid etc. Surfing beaches you found etc etc. Thanks

Chris

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
I pity the hardworking wardens when you get people whinging because the ground is soft.

The more astute amongst them might have noticed it has rained occasionally in the past several weeks, and yet the wardens haven`t covered the pitches for them. Scandalous!

I was at Putts Corner about a month ago and it was WET. The warden said pick a pitch, see if you can get on without the need for the tractor, never mind the peg, near enough is good enough. I did get on but was slightly off level side to side. Puting a levelling block down had no effect as it just sank into the mud.

These guys worked so hard in appalling conditions to keep enough pitches open for those who turned up, and NO-ONE complained.

Should think not!

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
Indeed, it advises in the club news section on The Caravan Club website, that all members contact their chosen site direct before setting off as some of them have pitches removed due to the recent weather.

I contacted the West Ayton site a few days ago and was told by the warden that 12 pitches have been taken out of action due to waterlogging.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
I too was at Treamble, from the 14th to the 25th July.

I was in the large bottom field just off the end of the drive.

I was lucky enough to get a pitch alongside the paved road so driving on and off didn't require me to negotiate the field too much.

I was put on my pitch by the warden with his tractor, I tried but couldn't get any traction going forward up the slight incline. The van was level, but it would do, unitl after two nights of heavy rain the right hand wheel sunk by about two inches. I then had to jack the van up and put a levelling block under the wheel to make it easier to sit on the seats without feeling you were falling off them.

Other than that a lovely site.

We didn't attempt to drive off, but enlisted the help of tractor man again.

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike,

We are due there in mid August, any tips etc would be good. Is there an arrival area?, the book says not. Any pitches to avoid etc. Surfing beaches you found etc etc. Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris,

As you drive down the drive to the reception, the road splits in two and there is room to park two outfits on the right. This only applies when the reception is open (09:00 to 06:00). If you arrive out of hours, there is a grass area on the right through the gate. You can then walk down to the reception.

All the hardstanding pitches are at the top of the site, so i would suggest you pull up near the turning circle near the toilet block to see if there are any available before venturing down to the grass areas.

Couldn't see any pitches i would discount, i'm sure the grass pitches will have dried up a bit before you get down there.

The beaches at Perranporth and Hollywell Bay are very nice, but they are busy and parking is a nightmare. If you take the road to Crantock, drive through the village and then you will see a sign for Treago Farm Caravan & Camping Site, take this and drive through the yard till you come to a gate. Drive through and follow the track (be carefull, quite rough) and you will come to another gate. A grass car park is just through it. Follow the footpath at the far end of the car park and it will bring you to Porth Joke. This is a lovely little beach and not many people seem to know about it. Avoid Newquay, you will spend all day looking for somewhere to park.

There is a Morrisons just on the outskirts of Newquay, follow the road towards Newquay and turn right at the roundabout and then left at the next roundabout.

You will have a great stay, it is a beautifull part of the country.

Regards, Mike

Nov 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chris,

As you drive down the drive to the reception, the road splits in two and there is room to park two outfits on the right. This only applies when the reception is open (09:00 to 06:00). If you arrive out of hours, there is a grass area on the right through the gate. You can then walk down to the reception.

All the hardstanding pitches are at the top of the site, so i would suggest you pull up near the turning circle near the toilet block to see if there are any available before venturing down to the grass areas.

Couldn't see any pitches i would discount, i'm sure the grass pitches will have dried up a bit before you get down there.

The beaches at Perranporth and Hollywell Bay are very nice, but they are busy and parking is a nightmare. If you take the road to Crantock, drive through the village and then you will see a sign for Treago Farm Caravan & Camping Site, take this and drive through the yard till you come to a gate. Drive through and follow the track (be carefull, quite rough) and you will come to another gate. A grass car park is just through it. Follow the footpath at the far end of the car park and it will bring you to Porth Joke. This is a lovely little beach and not many people seem to know about it. Avoid Newquay, you will spend all day looking for somewhere to park.

There is a Morrisons just on the outskirts of Newquay, follow the road towards Newquay and turn right at the roundabout and then left at the next roundabout.

You will have a great stay, it is a beautifull part of the country.

Regards, Mike
Hi Mike, Thanks for that.

Some useful info, especially the beach. we have been to St Ives before and remember parking on the top of the hill and catching a bus down to the town etc. Newquay is the place to avoid but the children want to try Jamie Olivers place in Watergate Bay.

Thanks again

Chris

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike, Thanks for that.

Some useful info, especially the beach. we have been to St Ives before and remember parking on the top of the hill and catching a bus down to the town etc. Newquay is the place to avoid but the children want to try Jamie Olivers place in Watergate Bay.

Thanks again

Chris
No probs. Enjoy.

Regards, Mike

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
I too was at Treamble, from the 14th to the 25th July.

I was in the large bottom field just off the end of the drive.

I was lucky enough to get a pitch alongside the paved road so driving on and off didn't require me to negotiate the field too much.

I was put on my pitch by the warden with his tractor, I tried but couldn't get any traction going forward up the slight incline. The van was level, but it would do, unitl after two nights of heavy rain the right hand wheel sunk by about two inches. I then had to jack the van up and put a levelling block under the wheel to make it easier to sit on the seats without feeling you were falling off them.

Other than that a lovely site.

We didn't attempt to drive off, but enlisted the help of tractor man again.
Have just come back from Treamble. Spent a wet and windy week at the Tintagel CC Site before then. I spoke to the wardens at length whilst at Treamble, and they confirmed that all of the sites in the South West had been inspected and they were by far the worst.

Now I don't want to come across as hypercritical here (but I suspect I will), as I know the many many reasons why people do this, but the wardens don't exactly get much of a chance to 'work' on the grass pitches at all inbetween departures and new arrivals. This Saturday just gone (4th), I was walking my dog up the (significantly improved) dog walk at 8.30am - and imagine my amazement to find 10 - yes, 10 outfits, already waiting to get on site. According to the warden, 4 of them were there at 7am (so could have stayed/paid to be there overnight), but the rest were all champing at the bit to get on the site. The wardens apparently take turns to work the lawnmower on Saturdays as it is a mad scramble to cut the grass before the next lot get on. Hardly giving the ground a chance to recover.

I was under the impression that outfits werent supposed to arrive before mid-day. I guess I was wrong then??

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Have just come back from Treamble. Spent a wet and windy week at the Tintagel CC Site before then. I spoke to the wardens at length whilst at Treamble, and they confirmed that all of the sites in the South West had been inspected and they were by far the worst.

Now I don't want to come across as hypercritical here (but I suspect I will), as I know the many many reasons why people do this, but the wardens don't exactly get much of a chance to 'work' on the grass pitches at all inbetween departures and new arrivals. This Saturday just gone (4th), I was walking my dog up the (significantly improved) dog walk at 8.30am - and imagine my amazement to find 10 - yes, 10 outfits, already waiting to get on site. According to the warden, 4 of them were there at 7am (so could have stayed/paid to be there overnight), but the rest were all champing at the bit to get on the site. The wardens apparently take turns to work the lawnmower on Saturdays as it is a mad scramble to cut the grass before the next lot get on. Hardly giving the ground a chance to recover.

I was under the impression that outfits werent supposed to arrive before mid-day. I guess I was wrong then??

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Visited Perranporth beach a couple of times last week and have to say I found it a little neglected with rubbish and dog mess.Also there are very strong undercurrents and the lifeguards had to rescue 70 people on one day alone.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
No you're not hypocritical Lesley, you are speaking the truth. People on this forum have asked in the past if there's any car parks to stay overnight on in Cornwall so they can get to the site at Silly O'Clock. One person posted that they intentionally travel overnight so as to get to the site at Silly O'Clock, they said it then gives them an extra half day. These are probably the same people who whinge about the wardens, the state of the pitches and that there's no pitches available when they arrive. I recall someone complaining on here that at Chatsworth they were made to turn around because they arrived before 1 pm. In the book and website it says not to arrive before then and to anyone who has been it is obvious why. Selfish is the word that comes to mind :O)

There is a way around it if they wish to arrive before time and it is only courteous to carry it out, that is to ring the site on the morning and ask if it's possible to arrive early, most wardens are accommadating.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
No you're not hypocritical Lesley, you are speaking the truth. People on this forum have asked in the past if there's any car parks to stay overnight on in Cornwall so they can get to the site at Silly O'Clock. One person posted that they intentionally travel overnight so as to get to the site at Silly O'Clock, they said it then gives them an extra half day. These are probably the same people who whinge about the wardens, the state of the pitches and that there's no pitches available when they arrive. I recall someone complaining on here that at Chatsworth they were made to turn around because they arrived before 1 pm. In the book and website it says not to arrive before then and to anyone who has been it is obvious why. Selfish is the word that comes to mind :O)

There is a way around it if they wish to arrive before time and it is only courteous to carry it out, that is to ring the site on the morning and ask if it's possible to arrive early, most wardens are accommadating.
oops typo ... *accommodating

Aug 2, 2005
Visit site
Visited Perranporth beach a couple of times last week and have to say I found it a little neglected with rubbish and dog mess.Also there are very strong undercurrents and the lifeguards had to rescue 70 people on one day alone.
We drove to Perranporth one day for the beach - it was heaving, so just turned round and toodled off to Holywell Bay beach. It was lovely there, and despite being a dog-friendly beach, I did not find any dog mess, and the beach seemed to be in pretty good nick too.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian,

I agree with your comments about Perranporth Beach.

We live about 3 miles South of Perranporth and never bother with the beach there, it is a complete disgrace. Just as you said covered in litter and Dogs mess. The pub, the watering hole, are responsible for the cleaning but have never done a very good job, probably due to the number of people that visit. They just cant cope so dont bother.

Head for Cubert (Holywell Bay) Polly Joke and Crantock. Further afield Lelant Beach, just before Carbis bay has the most amazing 2 miles of fine sand and is never ever busy!

Site wise we always stay at the CC site, Godrevy Park. I just feel the Newquay / Perranporth area is totally over populated during summer, us locals avoid it at all costs!!!

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
hi, just back from 3 weeks at treamble and i cant praise the wardens there enough.daroll, mick and there spouses are superb.they did wonderful work considering the weather we have had.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts