CC versus C&CC: am I paranoid!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Robert, get a dog, a single man walking is always suspicious but a guy with a dog must be a good guy........
yes, that is the answer! BUT SWMBO has decreed no dog until she retires. I can easliy take dog to work, or hols myself, but no. Life isn't always fair is it?

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
If I was single I'd definitely have a dog. I couldn't think of a greater reason for going off on walks or even a reason so I don't have to talk to myself.

I'm married and have three small dogs although we've only recently had the third because sadly I don't think our elderly old girl will be with us come the caravan season. She is now 15 1/2 and is beginning to show her age. I do know that when the inevitable happens I will be in pieces but at least we have the other two to help us get over the loss.

Get a dog Robert but please do clean up after it ;O)
Again , Yes. SWMBO has also pointed out our old puss is not going to be happy with a new chum. She really enjoys caravan tho', happy little bundle watching kids and dogs run around. The litter tray in the shower is not so nice tho'.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
If I was single I'd definitely have a dog. I couldn't think of a greater reason for going off on walks or even a reason so I don't have to talk to myself.

I'm married and have three small dogs although we've only recently had the third because sadly I don't think our elderly old girl will be with us come the caravan season. She is now 15 1/2 and is beginning to show her age. I do know that when the inevitable happens I will be in pieces but at least we have the other two to help us get over the loss.

Get a dog Robert but please do clean up after it ;O)
hi robert i caravan alone too, im in my late 20s and like you, enjoy walking and sight seeing. i have had the same experience as you many times in all types of sites, its not the caravan clubs fault, its the people who are on site, they see a young guy on his own and think the worst, i have a hard job and enjoy nothing more that finding a quiet pitch and having a relaxing holiday in my caravan. take my advice... dont worry about what others think, just enjoy your caravan!

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
I think you are paranoid, everyone looks at everyone else, its part of camping, seeing what aothers are doing, I personally would prefer to approach a single camper than a couple, so maybe I would have a closer look at you to see if you approachable cos some are not.So dont worry u are as welcome as anyone else.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Bob.I am sorry you have been made to feel uncomfortable but please don't let this spoil your enjoyment of caravanning.I am afraid that it is a sign of the times.You are a sensible guy and I am confident that you will have much better experiences in the future.If you should come across a little old couple with 2 fluffy Pomeranians the chances are it will be me and HIMSELF so come on and have a chat.Just make sure the awning is up or else you could get lumbered!!!

Thursdays Child

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Bob.I am sorry you have been made to feel uncomfortable but please don't let this spoil your enjoyment of caravanning.I am afraid that it is a sign of the times.You are a sensible guy and I am confident that you will have much better experiences in the future.If you should come across a little old couple with 2 fluffy Pomeranians the chances are it will be me and HIMSELF so come on and have a chat.Just make sure the awning is up or else you could get lumbered!!!

Thursdays Child
Thanks thursday child; from all these replies it seems that the dog owners are the most trusted!! If you need a hand, I'm you man.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
hi robert i caravan alone too, im in my late 20s and like you, enjoy walking and sight seeing. i have had the same experience as you many times in all types of sites, its not the caravan clubs fault, its the people who are on site, they see a young guy on his own and think the worst, i have a hard job and enjoy nothing more that finding a quiet pitch and having a relaxing holiday in my caravan. take my advice... dont worry about what others think, just enjoy your caravan!
Thanks Simon, you obviously know what I'm talking about!!

Maybe there should be a new CC membership section......Tired Hardworking People Looking for Peace!

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Bob, put it down to one bad experience fella. We use CC sites all the time although we are members of both clubs.

Truthfully it's no different to anything else in life. You will always get people who think they're above others. I also use the van when I travel with work (Hate hotels) so imagine the looks I get stepping out of the van on my own in a 3 piece suit !!

You might also like to consider something like the Companions Club. We met a lady at Beaconsfield services recently. She was on her own (aside from 4 dogs) with her car & van and was telling us about the club. Nothing sinister just a bunch of people who travel alone.

I also find a cheery "Morning" when I see others helps break the ice. Some ignore me (that's their loss) and some just mumble back at you but the majority will be happy to return your morning cheer.

Whatever you choose please don't lose faith in humanity. We're not all like that Fella. If you ever see us (Silver discovery & Elddis Crusader) come knock the door. Kettle's always on !!

All the best

Dom

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Do as Alan said, join both and try each for a year and then you can decide. Sadly I didn't find the C&CC the 'friendly one' but maybe I picked the wrong sites or maybe the wrong time of year, who knows?

The plus factor is if you are a member of both it gives you a far greater selection of sites especially if you go off touring for weeks.

G

I agree, try them both and as mentioned the extra options for sites make it worthwhile. As for friendliness, remember many people are in both Clubs so the a......es you met on the CC site may pop up again on a C&CC site, so blame the members, not the Clubs. Both Clubs do have some Asst/wardens adn wardens who really should not be in the job, as they obviously hate it, and ensure all visitors know it, but the majority are very good and as they move around, a 'bad' site may improve dramatically the following year, and of course vice versa.

Personally I quite like the tenters as you do get some laughs, and occasionally 'see the sights', that maybe you shouldn't.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Personally we prefer the CC to the C&CC. Their web based booking system is easier to use and much more flexible with regard to changing bookings close to the arrival date. C&CC do not allow transfer of your deposit to a different site for example whereas CC do.

Also, someone mentioned that the CC is elitist, aloof etc. Read that as "having decent standards" and keeping to them.

We found the C&CC to be much more relaxed about standards and more tolerant of the less desirable (chrome clad maybe?) caravans which are often pulled by a white tranny and their, ahem, hygienically challenged occupants.

Last, CC seem to have more fully serviced pitches which is a real bonus.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Simple, join both, it's worth it for the Magazines alone. As for freindly, inthis day and age sadley you take what you find, and don't worry!
Thanks, yes a good idea. I can probably justify cost with site savings, and the mags as you say.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Personally we prefer the CC to the C&CC. Their web based booking system is easier to use and much more flexible with regard to changing bookings close to the arrival date. C&CC do not allow transfer of your deposit to a different site for example whereas CC do.

Also, someone mentioned that the CC is elitist, aloof etc. Read that as "having decent standards" and keeping to them.

We found the C&CC to be much more relaxed about standards and more tolerant of the less desirable (chrome clad maybe?) caravans which are often pulled by a white tranny and their, ahem, hygienically challenged occupants.

Last, CC seem to have more fully serviced pitches which is a real bonus.
Thanks Dominic, that is interesting.

I have been on some sites, non _club, which seem to have a very relaxed attitude when they are quiet, but have signs all over saying no vans, no commercial, etc. I don't mind working people on site, as I am often one too, but it's the common decency and manners that have gone generally.

Oh God, I do sound like my dad don't I!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts