CCC Price increases

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know how closely folk have looked at the new prices from the Camping & Caravanning Club, but despite their claims of reductions, we're actually seeing major price hikes.Hook-up increased by a £1 per night. Age discount reduced from 30% to 25% (and age discount for new-members now at >60, rather than at 55 years old). New seasons introduced each side of High Season with, unsurprisingly, higher prices than mid-season. They claim that 30 sites are cheaper in Summer. This is not true. As an example, West Runton (not the only site) where this year it would have cost (11.95 + 3.85 = ) £15.80 per night, next year it will cost from (11.30 +4.85 = ) £16.15 to (12.95 + 4.85 = ) £17.80 per night. The club has 109 sites.There are now 4 charging bands.Therefore there are 436 combinations (109 sites x 4 Charging Bands)The club keep saying that 56 sites will be lower in Low Season and 38 Lower in High Season. That's 94 of the possible combinations.So that means that 342 will actually cost more. (and those that they claim are cheaper, aren't really - see the West Runton example).Unfortunately the CCC doesn't have a forum for members to get-in-touch - in fact, it doesn't even publish a complaints email address! The Club is meant to be run for members - I think they've forgotten that!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can understand your frustration as its not easy now to just work out your nightly cost on the back of the proverbial. But I read in a CCC publication that the prices you are looking at will not necessarily be the price you pay. They said only when start to make a booking will you see the actual price. This allows them to reward early bookers by giving a reduction, and just like planes and trains etc as bookings ramp up the price will increase towards the printed prices. Then if the site is not getting towards its capacity offers will be made. The 30 day cancellation policy supports the new pricing structure by allowing piches which become available to be re-sold over a longer period. I think the CCC have adopted a very realistic approach which mirrors the way other commercial organisations match their price to demand. The proof of the pudding is yet to be revealed!
Re EHU charges its been bound to happen as demand has grown, but it will help to balance summer revenue with out of season electric usage. The alternative would be individual meters (ugh).
I cannot see the problem is having age discount at 60 years, after all its still below the state pension retirement age (for men) and at 25% its a good discount. Heck I retired at 52 and had to wait yonks for a bus pass and cheap haircut (LOL)

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
If they want to attract early bookers, then they should start the banding lower - to have a banding and then put a discount on it is ill thought through. Nearly every stay next year is more expensive, some - such as Sandringham in June - could be over 30% higher.

The EHU charge is inflated - I have stayed on a metered hook-up and that cost less than £5 for a week. Their EHU now costs £150 for a month - my 4 bed house doesn't even cost that in the middle of winter!

EHU is only more popular because folk have to use it because it's now so difficult to get a standard pitch. This may be because so many folk are using solar panels that the club were losing out on the income stream from EHU- therefore by making more hard standings they force you back into EHU.

I agree planes and trains etc change prices based on occupancy but this is a members club, not a private company (although with the number of pitches being lost to these private lodges I sometimes think they forgot they were a club!)

If I stay a member - and I've seen elsewhere that a lot of people have already decided to leave - it will only be so that I can use the 5 van sites.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Caravan site charges are based on supply & demand / market economics, call it as you will - this does offend some people's idea of "fair play" particularly when it's a members' club but the is the real world in the 21st century - we simply don't set charges on a "cost plus" basis.
I "fell out" with CC a decade or so back because their club site fees were increasing at roughly double the rate of inflation and started using the much better value CLs - but now I seriously wonder what I ever saw in club sites, always busy, pitches close together and just too regimented - even more so in 2013 with strict instructions about where caravan, awning, car are permitted - in contrast CLs are roomy, quiet and frankly attract a nicer type of caravanner, and they're much cheaper.
We caravan a lot in Scotland where CC sites, both club and CLs, can be few and far between but have discovered that although good commercials may rival CC club sites on fees they're just so much better in location and space.
I've no direct knowledge of C&CC club sites or CSs but I really recommend giving their CSs a go if you're unhappy with C&CC club site charges - they're all different so you need to "read between the lines" to see whether they'll suit your needs.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As a C&CC member I concur with Roger's comments, why use regimented and sometimes expensive club sites when there are some delightful certified and listed sites which charge reasonable prices and offer a choice between ehu and non ehu pitches.
As someone with a fitted 80w solar panel and led lighting I would welcome ehu metering, I feel that we often pay for other peoples excessive use of 240v electricity.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
As someone with a fitted 80w solar panel and led lighting I would welcome ehu metering, I feel that we often pay for other peoples excessive use of 240v electricity.
As members
of both clubs but infrequent users of "main sites" we prefer though
the season to seek out THS, rallies, and 5 van sites and these come with the
bonus of a significant financial saving. Only at this time of the year do we
venture near main sites.
It will be
interesting to see if the pricing structure gives rise to more joining us out
of sheer confusion, frustration and cost.
We echo
very much Parksy's view that we when on EHU are just subsiding the profligate
and welcome metering of electricity. Under the governments energy reselling
directive we would save massively as we never get to 50% of £4.85 worth of electricity. On sunny days it could be zero if we chose.

I don’t
believe the re-costing reflects a “supply and demand” fact base but is a panic based “try on” to see
what can be squeezed out of us to repair the club's accounts, and keep their jobs. I feel they may
well provoke another open market phenomenon that people vote with their feet.
They completely lost the plot going for cabins etc forgetting or even
considering their core membership’s interests.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
After being burnt earleir this year, we would avoid any sites that had metered pitches as you have no knowledge when last the meter was certified, if ever!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
As a C&CC member I concur with Roger's comments, why use regimented and sometimes expensive club sites when there are some delightful certified and listed sites which charge reasonable prices and offer a choice between ehu and non ehu pitches.

Would you also welcome a charge for the use of the toilet block and the childrens play area, neither of which I use, but both of which I subsidies every time, whether on club sites or commercial ones.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
steve w77 said:
Parksy said:

Would you also welcome a charge for the use of the toilet block and the childrens play area, neither of which I use, but both of which I subsidies every time, whether on club sites or commercial ones.
No I wouldn't.
A childrens play area is not something I'd use either but I'd much rather the children were playing in a separate designated area than around my caravan.
As for toilet blocks, when you've got to go, you've got to go and no matter how many times campers visit the toilet the effect on my pocket is negligible.
No one is compelled to use 240v electricity to heat their awning though, and this is the sort of thing that I object to subsidizing.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Surfer said:
After being burnt earleir this year, we would avoid any sites that had metered pitches as you have no knowledge when last the meter was certified, if ever!
Have you considered how far out of calibration a meter would need to be for a anyone in peak season to get through £4.85 of electricity?
Thats a stonking 32 kwhrs if they paid even 15 p per kwh.
I suspect it was something other than a meter drifting out of calibration in your case, either illegal setting or unbelievable wasting of power, both good arguments supporting metering and bringing illegal operators to book.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
If you don't like the prices don't use the sites, it really is that simple. If you prefer metered electric then use sites with it, if you don't like it then use sites without. There's a wealth of choice out there for everyone.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
If you don't like the prices don't use the sites, it really is that simple. If you prefer metered electric then use sites with it, if you don't like it then use sites without. There's a wealth of choice out there for everyone.
Hardly a constructive contribution. We have 35 years of
membership with the club that surely entitles us to comment where it is going
wrong, we want it to succeed. Without the clubs there is IMO not "a wealth of choice out there for everyone" the choice is limited.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Parksy said:
steve w77 said:
Parksy said:

No I wouldn't.
A childrens play area is not something I'd use either but I'd much rather the children were playing in a separate designated area than around my caravan.
As for toilet blocks, when you've got to go, you've got to go and no matter how many times campers visit the toilet the effect on my pocket is negligible.
No one is compelled to use 240v electricity to heat their awning though, and this is the sort of thing that I objectsubsidisingzing.

No one is compelled to use the loo block either, there can be very few caravans that do not have their own facility. All these facilities have to be costed into the overall price,why should it be different for electricity. I do not beleive that the average site user sits there "wasting" electricity in an empty awning. For everyone that does, there must be dozens if not hundreds that switch everything off except the fridge when they go out. I even turn the charger off once I have brought the battery up to scratch after using my mover.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
JTQ said:
Martin24 said:
wrong, we want it to succeed. Without the clubs there is IMO not "a wealth of choice out there for everyone" the choice is limited.

There is a wealth of choice, plenty of rallies all year round if you combine both clubs and owners' clubs as well. In addition there are many more CL's open all year than "main sites" so why not carry on using them, you are reducing your choice yourself. In addition there are plenty of commercial sites people can use if they don't like club prices, though I doubt very much if they'd come in any cheaper. Just remember we are all entitled to our opinions, as you've only been in the club 35 years I assume your caravanning experience is limited to that time as opposed to those younger that have a life time of experience spanning more than 35 years.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
JTQ said:
Surfer said:
Have you considered how far out of calibration a meter would need to be for a anyone in peak season to get through £4.85 of electricity?
Thats a stonking 32 kwhrs if they paid even 15 p per kwh.
I suspect it was something other than a meter drifting out of calibration in your case, either illegal setting or unbelievable wasting of power, both good arguments supporting metering and bringing illegal operators to book.

I am pleased that you remember my post about the metered issue as it has left a very sour taste in our mouths especially as there is no way a George Foreman and a Dyson vacuum cleaner could consume that amount of electric in such a short time. At home during the winter months using electric heating, washing machine etc we use a hell of a lot less.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JTQ said:
Martin24 said:

Does "commenting" mean posting on forums, or something constructive such a being at center, or national AGMs, or talking to committe members?

We tend to favour the mixed economy with visits to CC and CCC sites as well as using CL and CS, but havent ever used a commercial site That is not for any reason of dogma, but when we choose an area to holiday in we then look at what the two clubs offer. But some CL/CS are now getting quite expensive even if they only offer limited facilities, but if we choose to use them it is because of their location in the area of interest. But it is our choice. Long gone though are our days of 30 nights away for £250 inc electric etc!! Ah happy days.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Long gone though are our days of 30 nights away for £250 inc electric etc!! Ah happy days.
Not quite long gone - we stayed on a delightful and spacious CL in Aberdeenshire in September this year for £7/night including EHU - of course it's limited to 28 night stays like all CL/CSs but better than the CC club sites limit of 21 nights.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts