Certificated sites directory or guide book?

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
Might there be any books, else websites, that are a good solid guide to so-called certificated sites (or certified sites, as everyone seems to call them in practice)?

I know there's the C&C Club, and C&M Club listing but they're very cursory. I mean review or directories that give a real flavour and facts, from people who have stayed there.

From memory we've only stayed at one, and walked in to look around a second. The first, near Kings Lynn, was actually quite pleasant save for an annoying BbbbbbBBBBBuuuuzzzZZZZZzzzzbbbbBBBuuuZzzz all day and night of the farm's wind turbine right outside our front window. I know Club sites are becoming increasingly like battery hen sites friendly only to those with motor movers and not wanting a true sense of the open countryside, but at least they don't have that (yet)!

The second was in a popular town in Peak District .... great, but up a loooooong rough stone track that would make wheelchair or pushchair access to the shops very unpleasant.

I know you have to take the rough with the smooth when roughing it, but some better forewarning and informed choices is what I'm looking for.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ah stop whinging , I've just spent 2 weeks on a French site where the cockerels started going at 4 a.m. in the morning then come back to my Dover on my CL site ( a working farm ) to have chickens outside my caravan first thing in the morning and cows mooooooooooing !
You win some you lose some !

Try a Google's search on '5 van sites' & UK campsites . You'll get plenty of reviews on sites on there .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Try Caravan Site Finder website. If you log onto the CMHC and CCC websites you do get info and reviews. But at the end of the day you just have to make a judgement. In days gone by all you had were the books issued by the two Clubs with precious little information other than basics plus directions. So perhaps your problem is the common one that too much information creates uncertainty.

I don’t agree your reverse snobbery re Club sites. They are invariably of good standards and most have enough space to pitch without mover if required. Some people prefer or need those sites as you get good accessible facilities, they can be near to local bus services and apart from a few that are in cities the rest are in the countryside. Although I note that you have moaned about the road leading to a Cl. What did you expect a pristine tarmac surface? It is a farm. How many countryside footpaths have you been on lately that are wheelchair or push chair accessible?
You better think twice about touring Europe as many of their sites are very tight and your neighbours and staff unlikely to speak English their first language. You’d probably find that quite upsetting. So chill out and enjoy your hobby.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Hes not whinging hes just had a bad experience andis entitled to whinge, I've just had something similar and we had cockerels at 0530 every morning plus a picky site owner and a caravan club site that anyone could just drive on and help themselves, three male showers for 60 caravans its a joke no wonder people whinge,

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
But surely this all part of the adventure that is (or used to be) caravanning?
Finding new places to stay, other than the all-singing,all-dancing- entertainment-provided- so- you don't- have- to- think- for- yourself type sites? Where you can get as close to nature as you want to be. Most CL and CS sites are out in the sticks, and surprisingly, that's where you find chickens and cows etc!
If you don't like them, then stay on bigger sites, and leave the dwindling CL and CS sites for we folk who do like them!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
camel said:
Hes not whinging hes just had a bad experience andis entitled to whinge, I've just had something similar and we had cockerels at 0530 every morning plus a picky site owner and a caravan club site that anyone could just drive on and help themselves, three male showers for 60 caravans its a joke no wonder people whinge,

I meant the whinging bit in a joking way not a horrible way .

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm just about to away in the next couple of weeks and pay £25.00 a night if the site does not come up to expectations I wll be whinging on here ,

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
camel said:
I'm just about to away in the next couple of weeks and pay £25.00 a night if the site does not come up to expectations I wll be whinging on here ,

Think if I didn’t like it I’d find another one ASAP.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I use U.K. Campsite. There you can read genuine caravanners views. Loads of CLs and CSs
are listed by name or town or region. Very good search engine which lets you drill down to your own requirements. This is how Imfound Welltrough Hall Farm last year. All fully serviced pitches. On site facilities, the best dog walk you could hope for and fantastic long distance views towards Buxton. Oh yes. £20 a night. Now thanks brilliant B)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
camel said:

Thats not a cl or cs site.

I tend to drive to a site within a hundred miles first to check out the site and area, due to my wifes COPD health problems, also makes for a nice day out. Check out 3 or 4 sites in the same day.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Everyone's needs are different, and if there were a common list of all sites which contained all the information that everyone could possibly desire, it would be hugh, difficult to use and probably out of date.

Latterly with my wife's poor heath and restricted mobility, we would identify locations we would like to stay, and then contact them to check for compatability with our needs before booking. It's just the same as buying anything. You identify possible ones, then you seek more detailed information to make sure it'll do what you want. Buyer beware!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Everyone's needs are different, and if there were a common list of all sites which contained all the information that everyone could possibly desire, it would be hugh, difficult to use and probably out of date.

Latterly with my wife's poor heath and restricted mobility, we would identify locations we would like to stay, and then contact them to check for compatability with our needs before booking. It's just the same as buying anything. You identify possible ones, then you seek more detailed information to make sure it'll do what you want. Buyer beware!
Prof
UK Campsites is very comprehensive with a great “drill down “ facility which I think
you will find useful. It even includes a selection criteria for “disabled” facilities :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Dustydog said:
ProfJohnL said:
Everyone's needs are different, and if there were a common list of all sites which contained all the information that everyone could possibly desire, it would be hugh, difficult to use and probably out gof date.

Prof
UK Campsites is very comprehensive with a great “drill down “ facility which I think
you will find useful

I fully back up Dusty Dogs thoughts about UK campsites website. Very comprehensive, a great place to find good caravan sites.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
For CL lovers theres a new one in Melton Mowbray 'Hill Top Farm' built from scratch with a new block and a farm shop coming shortly,

Jul 28, 2018
Visit site
We stayed here last year. Your own hot tub on the pitch.. just be careful you don’t overspend in the restaurant there, the food is amazing.

Bargoed Farm - https://www.bargoedfarm.co.uk/

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog for the 'UK Campsites' post, I had forgotten just how usefil their index is, and the ability to selectdeselect site options is something that I do not remember seeing last time I looked in (must be quite some time then :huh: ).

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
Thanks Dustydog for the 'UK Campsites' post, I had forgotten just how usefil their index is, and the ability to selectdeselect site options is something that I do not remember seeing last time I looked in (must be quite some time then :huh: ).

One option I like is the "Pub Campsites" :blink:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:

One option I like is the "Pub Campsites" :blink:

Nowt wrong with that old chap, they are a convenient source for bottled water :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts