Change of van,different gas bottle connector

Jul 23, 2020
Visit site
Can anyone advise,I have 2x4.5kg Calor Butane bottles that i kept when selling my old caravan.

The problen I have is that my new (to me) caravan has a connector that is male and much larger than the female smaller one that was on the old caravan that fits the bottles I have kept.Can someone advise on an adaptor that I could get ? Tia.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Your van being 2010 will have a bulkhead regulator fitted with a hose down to the bottle, we call a "pig-tail".

It is best you change the pig tail to one to suit your bottles, after all the pig tails needs changing every few years, and are a cheap item,

You need a "Butane pig tail" readily available from caravan dealers.

AN EXAMPLE

If you have not the spanners needed to change these over, best ask a helpful friend, neighbour etc, it's a few minutes job and comes new with fresh seals.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can anyone advise,I have 2x4.5kg Calor Butane bottles that i kept when selling my old caravan.

The problen I have is that my new (to me) caravan has a connector that is male and much larger than the female smaller one that was on the old caravan that fits the bottles I have kept.Can someone advise on an adaptor that I could get ? Tia.
When you say adaptor do you mean that the end of the rubber pigtail that connects to your bottle is wrong. In which case it might be better to fit a butane pigtail. Hoses have a five year recommended life with the date of manufacture printed on them. How old is yours? Here’s a long for pigtails

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/gas-regulators/butane-pigtails.html

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
It's very simple. The bottles you have are butane. Your new caravan has a Propane connector on the end of the hose (pig tail). Replace the hose with a Butain hose. Job done!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
It's very simple. The bottles you have are butane. Your new caravan has a Propane connector on the end of the hose (pig tail). Replace the hose with a Butain hose. Job done!
Butane has Right hand threads, Propane have left hand threads.
Sorry got it wrong,

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Are we on the same hymn sheet. The Bottle has its own valve tap. The pig tail connection is Right or Left hand thread depending on propane or butane. 🤔🤔🤔🤔. Put another way if it doesn’t screw up try the opposite direction, Now I’m totally confused 🤪🤪

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Are we on the same hymn sheet. The Bottle has its own valve tap. The pig tail connection is Right or Left hand thread depending on propane or butane. 🤔🤔🤔🤔. Put another way if it doesn’t screw up try the opposite direction, Now I’m totally confused 🤪🤪
But the OP hasn’t mentioned a tap all that’s said is the two connectors are different sizes. A photo orca but more info from OP could help.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
But the OP hasn’t mentioned a tap all that’s said is the two connectors are different sizes. A photo orca but more info from OP could help.
Have Calor ever changed the fixings on either Butane or Propane ? I don’t think so.Maybe the OP s is a non Calor??

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The Camping Gaz R907 has 2.75 kg of gas. Not sure Camping Gaz do 4 .5 kg as per the OPs post. I just think it’s a propane pigtail that require swopping for a butane pigtail. But with the lack of OP feedback in Deborah’s words “ I’m out”

Reactions: Ern
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Schol.

The connector fitted to teh caravan is a Propane pig Tail. You need to get a Butane pigtail to replace it . It shouldn't cost a lot

Reactions: scol1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hello Schol.

The connector fitted to teh caravan is a Propane pig Tail. You need to get a Butane pigtail to replace it . It shouldn't cost a lot
You are the fifth to recommend a butane pigtail. Thank heavens for the ability to post photos I can now go to bed ready to get up very early with our granddaughter who want to watch the 57 kg ladies Taekwondo heats.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Of course if he caravans in the winter………😜😜
well, thats a good point.

Scol

I don't know if you about the Achilles' heel of Butane (blue bottle) gas. Its absolutely fine for late spring summer an early autumn use, but if you intend to caravan in temperatures below about 5C, then Butane can cause problems, it can stop vaporising in the cylinder.

Both Butane and Propane work in the same way , the liquified gas inside the cylinder relies on being able to draw heat from it surroundings to boil the liquiufied gas and produce gas vapour to pressurise the cylinder. It's temperature sensitive, and Butane will work down to about 5C but Propane is good to -40C.

The problem is compounded becasue as you use gas it actually cools the cylinder, so with Butane at 5C there may not be enough heat in the atmosphere to replenish the heat used to boil the liquified gas, so the cylinder vapour pressure can drop below atmospheric.

Of you intend to winter caravan, propane is a better bet, and it is still perfectly safe for UK summers.

I suggest getting the butane pigtail , and use your butane cylinder, but when it runs out consider replacing it with Propane, and obviously you would need to refit the Propane pigtail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes yes and yes but no one actually told him Butane has serious limitations in low temperature caravanning until #19 and #20 .😎😎

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts