Changing from butane to propane

Sep 30, 2021
Visit site
Hi we have just acquired a Burstner caravan and its fitted with butane gas. I have four 19kg propane bottles from previous use that I want to use with the caravan.
What do I need to get propane connected safely? I’ve attached a photo of what we currently have.
Also I know a 19kg bottle won’t fit in the caravan so I was thinking of drilling a hole through the bottom of the bulk head to feed a hose through and have the gas outside, wondering what people’s thoughts on this are? Thanks

Attachments

• DB231247-3810-4CCA-A24A-A60868EA5EC9.jpeg
    DB231247-3810-4CCA-A24A-A60868EA5EC9.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 13

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All you need to do is change the pigtail to a propane pigtail to replace the butane ones.

As for your thoughts on having the gas outside the van, forget it, it is not permitted to do so.

The max length of a caravan pigtail is 750mm.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Some sites have a rule about bottles being located outside, but other sites allow it. However, the 19KG bottles are tall and if standing alone may be unstable and therefore dangerous as they can fall and injure someone. additionally, there is a fire risk as a tipping accident could rip the hose. I would say it's a "no no" for those reasons, and in any case you are likely to be stopped by the site manager.
Pig tails can be purchased in all sorts of lengths and are available from several retail outlets up to 150cm, but NCC (trade body of the caravan manufacturers) recommends no more than 75cm. (This is a safety recommendation, not a legal requirement.
If I were you I would simply get a bottle of propane which fits the caravan and a pig tail of the appropriate type.

Last edited:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The use of a 19kg propane bottle raises all sorts of safety and legal issues and it's not advisable.
How would the 19kg be safely and legally transported for a start?

Reactions: Buckman and Ern

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts