Channel tunnel and gas cylinders.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I understand that LPG converted vehicles are not allowed to travel in the chunnel. I am also lead to believe that no gas cylinders are allowed on caravans. How do people manage when they use this service? Do they buy a gas cylinder abroad and discard it when travelling home (if so then how)?

Any advice would be helpfull.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It is true that LPG and dual powered vehicles are not allowed to travel throught the Eurotunnel. However, this does not apply to CNG powered vehicles.

As regards caravans, normal amounts of gas cylinders are permitted. Here is the actual text out of the Eurotunnel website:

"We are aware LPG tanks are essential for cooking, refrigeration, heating etc, but request the appliance is switched off before boarding and during the entire crossing. Tanks up to 47kg may be carried, but must be less than 80% full. For your own safety and the safety of others, you will need to demonstrate this before you travel."

I have never been asked to demonstrate anything when I've used the tunnel but maybe others have.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Graeme,

Arriving at Euro-tunnel in the UK, I've only been asked (twice out of many trips) if the caravan gas bottles were turned off.

You shouldn't have any problems at all.

Robert

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
Graeme,

Arriving at Euro-tunnel in the UK, I've only been asked (twice out of many trips) if the caravan gas bottles were turned off.

You shouldn't have any problems at all.

Robert
We were asked on one return trip to open the gas locker. They just checked that the cylinders were switched off.We always have 2 Calor and 2 Camping Gaz cylinders and have never had a problem.

Nick

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

The reason I posted the question was after reading an article in the latest Which Caravan magazine about travelling abroad.The author of the article said that gas bottles are not allowed and don't try to sneak a gas bottle into the tunnel. Obviously he didn't do his research very well before writing the article.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts