Charcole v Gas

Sep 4, 2017
592
53
10,935
Visit site
I shudder even using the words "gas" in relation to barbecue/ braai. As an ex South African there is only one choice. But my wife has now probably lived in the UK for too long now. She is bending my ear to try gas. Shudder. Ok everyone you like having your say - go for it.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,797
6,472
50,935
Visit site
We have three BBQs. Large kettle Danish charcoal one which stays at home. A Weber Smokey Joe small charcoal for caravan and picnic use and a Cadac for home and caravan. I prefer using the charcoal ones as it is more in line with the aims of a BBQ meal, which is to relax, cook, enjoy some drinks and god company. The gas Cadac is good for UK when you get five minutes notice of a patch of blue sky coming up.

But seriously in terms of cooking flavour I have not found much difference and gas is convenient especially in UK. Although when I lived in Canada we had weekly charcoal BBQs at work throughout the year.
 
Jan 19, 2002
1,532
438
19,935
Visit site
Rely on my cadac. packs away very neatly for transport and storage. I used to use charcoal but changed for convenience and safety reasons - once the gas is off the cadac cools down quickly, while charcoal can still be hot hours later - easier to clean - also much less smoky out put from gas too. Still the same ambience and more controlled cooking. Hey my mouth is watering at the thought of a crispy BBQ bacon sandwich or minted lamb steaks with new potatoes!
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,728
3,037
40,935
Visit site
I was always a fan of Charcol BBQ's but the time taken to light the coals and then getting them down to cooking heat, was a lot, The Gas BBQ, is great controllable heat when you need it, Cooked a leg of lamb on the home one yesterday, lovely. When in the caravan the Cadac is great wether for breakfast, lunch or evening meal, cleaning the grill is not a problem either.
 
Aug 9, 2010
1,426
2
0
Visit site
It took man thousands of years to learn to cook indoors. Why do you now want to go backwards?
But if I had to choose it would be charcoal. If you're going to use gas, then you definitely might just as well stay indoors!
 

Mel

Moderator
Mar 17, 2007
5,458
1,390
25,935
Visit site
A Cadac is an outdoor gas grill/cooker. A really useful, very versatile, wouldn’t be without it outdoor gas grill/cooker. It is not, imho, a barbecue. Used the cadac every day this Easter weekend, who wants to heat yourself and the caravan up, or be stuck inside cooking when everyone else is outside in this lovely weather.
Mel
 
Mar 8, 2009
1,851
334
19,935
Visit site
Well bbqers, there is only one bbq -- and that is with charcoal, -- the rest are outdoor cookers, -- ( and yes I/we have the full range!) a cadac, a closed gas 'bbq' , a charcoal and an electric, - yes an electric, got the electric with us this week -- convenience, but there is only one genuine 'smoker' and it's the charcoal, but laziness dictates which we use! -- Ps - don't carry 'em all!
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
Visit site
Sorry guys but I'm with the rest when I say Cadac for us to , and a large electric hot plate for the over spill from B&M for £2o .
As you know we have just been away this weekend and everyday we have barbecued because off quickness and cleanliness .
The guy on the adjacent pitch decided to get his charcoal barbecue out and was still sitting there half an hour later heating it up and you couldn't even see him for the smoke , I think I will stick to gas :unsure: B)
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,797
6,472
50,935
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Sorry guys but I'm with the rest when I say Cadac for us to , and a large electric hot plate for the over spill from B&M for £2o .
As you know we have just been away this weekend and everyday we have barbecued because off quickness and cleanliness .
The guy on the adjacent pitch decided to get his charcoal barbecue out and was still sitting there half an hour later heating it up and you couldn't even see him for the smoke , I think I will stick to gas :unsure: B)

Ah but whilst he is waiting for the coals to grey he can be quaffing more vino:)

Well that’s the theory anyway.
 
Jul 15, 2008
3,666
704
20,935
Visit site
......if you don't eat a lot of meat and as a caravanner you can do without a lot of weight and clutter.
Just another point of view :whistle:
 

Mel

Moderator
Mar 17, 2007
5,458
1,390
25,935
Visit site
Gafferbill said:
......if you don't eat a lot of meat and as a caravanner you can do without a lot of weight and clutter.
Just another point of view :whistle:

And miss out on grilled or barbecued corn on the cob, tomato and pepper kebabs and griddled asparagus. :eek:hmy:
Mel
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
Cadac all the way. We use the Skottel more than anything, does a mean Thai Curry. Plus using it with the liner = no washing up. win win.
 
Aug 9, 2010
1,426
2
0
Visit site
We do have a Cadac. Anne bought it from a friend last year. She had used it once, and decided it wasn't for her. (too big, too much hassle, same as me really) We've never used it, so here we have a great thing taking up space in my shed, probably never ever to used again!
I did sell it on once, but things went adrift, and we've not been able to meet up to deliver it, so I'm still stuck with it!
Barbeques? I hate 'em!
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,728
3,037
40,935
Visit site
I think it all depends on which grills or plates you have onthe "Beast" flat plate for breakfast andd eggs, we have the old pressed steel grill which is great for everything else, and the dished Thing for Pealla. Or roast chicken. An old, empty tobacco box with wood chips in it to give a smokey taste.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,608
3,704
50,935
Visit site
This old dog grew up with wood burning fires. Then the charcoal, then gas.
But with Gas you can add volcanic rocks and smoky hickory wood sticks for flavour.
In truth there isn't much difference in the final outcome.
My South African Cadac probably gives me the best of all,worlds. Cooks a fast grilled breakfast or a very slow cooked chicken or pork or lamb joint, lid on.
I still have somewhere in the boot one of those £2.50 throw away , use once disposable bbq. They are great for sausages and burgers. Choice is yours.
For me . Gas Cadac.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,728
3,037
40,935
Visit site
Dustydog said:
This old dog grew up with wood burning fires. Then the charcoal, then gas.
But with Gas you can add volcanic rocks and smoky hickory wood sticks for flavour.
In truth there isn't much difference in the final outcome.
My South African Cadac probably gives me the best of all,worlds. Cooks a fast grilled breakfast or a very slow cooked chicken or pork or lamb joint, lid on.
I still have somewhere in the boot one of those £2.50 throw away , use once disposable bbq. They are great for sausages and burgers. Choice is yours.
For me . Gas Cadac.

True the instant BBQ's, are really great when you have just got off the fishing boat, fead the gulls at the quay side after gutting your fresh mackerel and Pollok. Bit of brown bread, fantastic.
 
May 11, 2017
91
7
10,585
Visit site
We mainly use the caravan in the south of France, where a lot of sites won't allow you to use a charcoal BBQ due to the fire risk, so it's Cadac all the way for us!!!
 
Sep 4, 2017
592
53
10,935
Visit site
OK guys (in general) and especially those 4 fellow Woosies sitting in closed Van's at Thornbrook right now because of incessant rain - If ever there was a sign from above that charcoal is better than gas, this is it. It's raining to stop me using the new Cadac. It may never stop raining.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts