Charger probs

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have an abbey freestyle 540 (2006) have just returned from a long weekend away, on mains with charger on, showing 14+v no probs for a couple of days then noticed the meter was only showing 12.3v and would dip with usage, switched illuminated charger switch off, no change, then back on again with no change, although I assume there is mains power to the charger as the switch is lit when turned on, it seems as though there is no output from charger as the meter only shows low to mid 12v. Can anyone please advise of the possible cause/fault

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Senator - turned out to be the charger. Not sure if Abbey use the same type of charger but that's where I'd start.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Sounds like the charger subsection of your controller has gone wrong; far far from a rare situation. Measuring the voltage, and checking the mains supply as you have should reconfirm this.

Abbey was not fitting Nordelectronnica was it in 2006? They sadly, because otherwise technically excellent units, suffered from an fiffy component. For those there is a cure.

I think you need to sort out the brand used as there will be contributors here aware of cost effective work arounds.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Paul, I had my charger fail in my Senator, but did not notice it for over 12 months as the battery is permanently on charge from a roof mounted solar panel. and is kept to 13.8v iall of the time.The first indication was when a visitor was sitting on the seat above the charger said she thought she could smell burning. Then about 15 months later the water heater kept appearing to trip the shared trip switch which is the same circuit as the charger, so I was unsure what was at fault. The van was checked under warranty and the fitter took out the charger. He drilled the charger rivets and inside the case was A piece of what appeared to be some sort of cast metal that had broken away and ended up lying accross the PCB, and thus activated the trip switch .that it shared with the water heater.Had Bailey fitted a dedicated trip switch to the
charger, I would have noticed the fault over a year earlier

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your van is fitted with Nordeletronnica system, and they are well known for failure, so much so that the company went bankrupt !!
The best person to speak to is Paul at Apuljack Engineering (look him up on the web)
With you in the van he will go through your system and advise what to do and which bit needs sending to him to repair.
He is very good, and has a quick turnaround time, and is a lot cheaper than a new unit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts