Charges on cards

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone got a non charging Debit/Credit card yet for use in europe?

It's getting that time when we pop over the water for a few days
So we want to get a good exchange on withdrawals and purchases.

thanks

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
hi Smiley

We got a post office credit card which incurrs no additional charges for use abroad. We used it extensively this year in France and Italy without any problems. No use with cash withdrawals though. So we took enough cash for "ice cream money" and paid for everything else on the Post office card.

Jim

Nov 12, 2007
Visit site
For Credit Cards, both Nationwide Gold and Halifax Clarity are free to use, also Santander Zero and The Post Office.

I haven't found any free debit cards, so for cash withdrawals we will be sticking with Nationwide, their rates are still competitive.
Best way is not to make a lot of small withdrawals, and use the credit card for purchases.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I understand the Saga Platinum credit card is still exchange charge free. Instead of a debit card have a look at the pre-loaded euro cash cards such as Fair FX or Caxton - google ' cash travel card' and find a comparison site to compare rates. The snag is that you fix your rate when you charge the card - good if the pound weakens but bad if it gets stronger.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I use a Santander Zero Card with no charge for overseas use. An added plus is that whilst the exchange rate in this country (Co-op travel) was around I.16 to the pound (June) the rate on the card purchases came out at between 1.20 and 1.22 so we gained there as well. Next year I shall take a smaller amount of cash and use the card for more purchases.
Happy hols!
Regards to all
Derek

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Derek,
Beware Dont use the Santander zero card next year its a rip off. when i first had the card last year, the card was great no charges when i drew money from atm in france.this year is a diffrent kettle of fish.when i drew money in france this year i was charged.when i phoned they said the intrest free was finished,i was led to believe that there wouldnt be any intrest as long as i paid the bill off full.i was astonished to be told that intrest incures they date the bill is made up.so i cancelled the card i advise you to the same not to be caught like me.bye the way they dont charge if you buy goods,But dont draw money from Atm abroad.

hope i have helped you All The Best AlanP/T

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Since the Caravan Club credit card started charging, a few years ago, I switched to the Post Office one. I use it a couple of times a year and only for trips abroard. I'll stick with it until they start charging.

You can also pre-load the card and draw out the cash at the machines without charge.

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Hello Christine and Alan,
Don't worry, I don't use the card for cash withdrawals! I only use it for diesel and big shopping. (They don't call me tight #### for nothing!) Thanks for your concern!
Regards
Derek

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts