Charging base vehicle engine battery

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Good Morning,

My motorhome is connected to hook up whilst on my drive. I have a CTEK battery charger to charge the veh battery. Whilst on hook up, can I plug the CTEK charger into one of the electrical sockets inside my motorhome and use the CTEK charger that way?

Thank you

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Afternoon Ian n Jane,

Thanks for response.

It charges both leisure batteries, but was therefore not sure if it also charged the base veh battery?

On our previous motorhome the solar panel charged both leisure and base veh batteries, however our supplying dealer told us that Knaus use a different system and the solar panel cannot charge the engine battery due to the way the electrics are wired up.

Whilst we use our motorhome all year, it can stand for 4 weeks on the drive between trips away, so now weather has turned colder did not want to jump in it for a quick weekend getaway - only to find a drained engine battery.

Regards

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not au fait with which converters do what, but there are several ways of wiring the 230v charger. Some charge both batteries automatically (perhaps giving priority to the leisure one), some will charge whichever battery is currently powering the hab system (according to how the switch on the panel is set), and some will only ever charge the leisure battery. If you can't find out how yours is wired (from the dealer or the manual), any competent caravan electrician should be able to work it out with a multi-meter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts