Charging battery in the boot of your car

Feb 19, 2006
Visit site
Hi

What is the best way to charge a caravan battery in the boot of your car whilst driving.

Is it

A. Inverter running a battery charger, charging the battery?

B. A lead from S Plug terminals 3 + 4 to quick release clamp on battery ?

Please dont tell me it is dangerous to have a battery inside the car due to.......

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello simon,how about a split charger,100 amp mega fuse on the positive,cable run in conduit,under the car.simple,somehow vent the battery to atmosphere,secure the battery.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
"What is the best way to charge a caravan battery in the boot of your car whilst driving."

Depends on your personal definition of "Best".

Charging via the S socket is an unrefined way of getting a fast charge to a second battery; not necessarily a full charge or one sympathetic to the requirement of the deep cycle battery. When this is done to the battery in the caravan then the caravans controller ought to be protecting the battery; something that will not happen if you just connect it to the S socket.

Charging via an inverter and a proper "smart" charge will give you potentially a full charge and one that is kind to the deep cycling battery. It will be less efficient but that will not be an issue, but it will be slower because that is what the charger is "smart" enough to know is needed to prolong the battery's life.

You might be able to guess which way I do it.

Cheers John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Simon.

If you take care of the battery security then you can charge it BUT from terminals 6 (to +) and 7 (to -)

There will be others to tell you not to do it....But it's your choice.

Al

Sep 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi Simon

Have a look at Battery in boot in Technical forum 13/2.09

I ask the same question it was coverd there by John L and Big AL you can take it from me it works the safty side also coverd by other members

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts