Child Car Seats - a heads up.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
For those with children/grandchildren. Joie have just pulled their premium child car seat, the I-Travvel from sale in Australia following a horrific crash test result. My daughters inform me that it still on sale over here. This video is worth a watch.....................

View: https://youtu.be/mt0_IDHMyYc

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
Surely the Aussies 'safety board' are at fault here. If the seat 'meets the minimum standards', as said here, why don't these standards require the kid to be retained in the seat in an accident?

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Agree totally. However the semantics don't mean a jot when a child is killed. For the harness to let go in a crash test you have to question whether safety testing was completed to an expected level.

Feb 13, 2020
Visit site
'Expected level' is the salient point. This isn't a cheap seat, and it makes you wonder what our own 'bottom lines' are in the UK. This model obviously falls well short of what it needs to do. But what it had to do to pass their requirements is another matter, and needs an urgent review.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It seems from the video the child restraint belt buckle released, allowing the Crash Test Dummy to move. We obviously don't know the exact circumstances of this particular test, but clearly the action of the manufacturer in withdrawing the model from sale in AU, suggests there may be a potential issue.

I hope the test authority was competent to carry out the test and had correctly followed the manufactures fitting and use instructions. In which case the video does have very worrying consequences.

Most manufacturers will have designed the child belt system and tested it thoroughly, and will likely employ the same design of buckle across several different models. If my interpretation of failure is correct, the it must raise concerns about other models.

My daughter has two child seats from this manufacturer.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have models from Maxi Cosi for the youngest and Graco for the elder which is a high backed booster and uses the main car seat belt. I am going to have a real close look at the harness on the first model.

It would be an interesting comparison to see the manufacturers test criteria and compare it to both Australia and our own. I do believe the model in question as sold in this country carries a Kitemark for what its worth. As a KM equates to British Standards, and this seat hasnt as yet been pulled, questions need to be asked.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts