Child lock for caravan main door

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi All
I have two young children and want to know if anybody has found a good child lock for the main caravan door or any ideas on how to stop the kids opening door from inside at night without messing the door/frame up when kids are older
thanks grant

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Draw your flyscreen across? Ours covers the whole of the inside of the door and has successfully prevented my nephew and niece opening the door when they were little. Ours engages by pressure, and children's hands don't seem to be able to manage this.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I would be very reluctant to find a child proof lock on a caravan door due to the requirement to get out in a hurry if there was a fire. When I was a little un my parents used to flip the lower stable door catch across and that would slow me down enough for them to realise I was trying to open the door. If that would not work for you try fitting a simple reed switch buzzer that would sound if the door was opened - make sure there is a switch you can turn it off with in the day time or mount it on something like velcro so that you can remove it when not required.

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
How about a Child stair gate with suckers or like on each side so you can put it across the door. It would depend on your layout of course but would work on mine cos of litchen unit one side and toilet wall t'other.

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Not a good idea to put child locks on caravan door in case of fire.Better off fitting simple alarm that triggers when the door is opened, fit one which can be isolated during daylight or one the is easily isolated by removing battery.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
why on earth would you need them?? never heard of anyone having one or needing one, we certainly never have had the need for one. In case of an emergency in the night you need to get out quick and not have anything stopping access

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Martin24 said:
why on earth would you need them?? never heard of anyone having one or needing one, we certainly never have had the need for one. In case of an emergency in the night you need to get out quick and not have anything stopping access

We have five children and i can fully understand the need. Personally I wouldnt have need for one during the night, and as most say blocking an escape route isnt a great idea. sure most kids would not go futher than the awning when escaping at night as its dark an unfamiliar on a camp site and night time bids for freedom have never crossed my mind or been attempted by my little angels
smiley-undecided.gif

During the day thou, now thats a different matter. My kids range from 12 to 1 so older ones go out and little ones naturally want to follow. The stable door catch on our van works quite well, as does the fly screen. however we have lost the babies and dog more than once! If the stable door lock and fly screen dont work, then good old fashioned whooping, constant getting up and legging it after them is the answer lol. Afternoon snoozes cant really be expected when you have little ones or much sleep and rest at all for that matter unless you take it in turns, good luck and it will get easier as they grow and then you will have trouble getting them outa the van into the fresh air!
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
only three children but two dowgs. We use two puppy pens joined together either around the door when no awning up or around the awning door to stop dogs escaping. only any good of course if your dowgs aren't big enough to jump the pen! Three sections are cut down to fit under the door. Peg to ground using metal garden stakes cut to size and secured with cable ties. Also use more poles cut down as wellie boot holders!

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, l appreciate this sounds both over-protective and perhaps a possible cause for concern however, our son is an escapologist' We sleep on the fixed bed at the back of our caravan and worry that if our three year old were to climb out of bed and walk off we might not hear him. This is a worry for any parent.
There are two great products on the market
Milenco safe alarm pack of 6 for £28 Fit to windows or doors
Sam Childsafe Caravan door lock
http://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/alarms/744-milenco-safe-alarm-6-pk.html
http://www.caravanaccessories4u.co.uk/products/security/door-locks-and-alarms/sam-lock-childproof-lock

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts