Children given you scares

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Many years ago my son aged 7 and his friend deceided to go for a ride on a Greeline coach from Harlow in Essex to see "the queen" at Windsor.He had 2s and 6pence or 13p today.When they got on the bus the conductor asked where to and they said how far will 2/6d go !!. They got to Esher and started walking following the bus routes.At 6pm we expected him to come in for tea, by 7pm we started the searching,notified the police and spent a couple hours worrying ,then about 9pm got a call would we come to Esher police station to pick the boys up.It turned out that my son thought we would be getting worried and walked into the police station.The station seargent gave him a right old ear bashing for us . I had to give a further lecture but could not help admiring the action he took at that age.At age 14 we had a visit by a constable , this time he has given a "slap" to a adult who exposed himself to our daughter in the playing field.At 18 he bought a Ford 1600E, another visit by the smallest constable to come to our door, he said would we have a word with him about speeding ,although he was never ever stopped.Apart from a fractued femur when he was 4 and in hospital and making us wince because he kept on pulling the leg weights on the bed frame !.When you look back on our children and their antics it makes me feel sorry for our Mum and Dad what they had to put up with especially as in my time we had the blitz.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Back in the 50s my mate and I on one of our many train spotting expeditions use to go to Nottingham (Midland). It was 1/6 return then. On arrival we looked at the times for the return train and we decided to catch the last one back to Mansfield. That evening when it was time to leave no train arrived. Now getting worried we asked a porter what time the last train was and he said it had gone. We had looked at a SO Saturdays Only departure :O( I can remember asking the driver of a parcels train if he was going Mansfield way and him saying no, Lincoln.

Blind panic set in and we ran off the station and managed to catch a Trent bus back to Mansfield. We had missed the last East Midland bus to Clipstone so had to walk the last 4 miles. My mother went ballistic and told me to get to bed before my father got home, he was out looking for us with the police.

Sometimes after that we would hop on a Nottingham to Derby train then a Derby to Crewe train and we always managed to dodge the ticket inspector :O) hehheh! Naughty I know but at least we didn't vandalise everything in our path. We always read the timetables correctly after that too :O)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. and Robert I think that when we were growing up we had the respect for society and society respected us. We did things that when we look back at think "God did I actually do that?". However the antics we got up to never created any harm/nuisance to any other individual, perhaps may have caused our parents a few white hairs, but there was not the vandelism and violance there is nowadays. Looking at the Teddy Boy era - they carried flick knives but how many times did you hear of killings or injuries through fighting. My father used to hate the fifties/sixties music - Cliff, Elvis, Adam Faith, etc. were all no good wasters. We could be saying the same today about present day artists. I do think there is more violence nowadays as a result of films and computer games and the PC brigade with their do good attitude to the offenders.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Things were strict colin, corporal punishment at schools etc. I had it myself a few times. It hurt for a few minutes but what was worse was the embarrassment among your class mates. There certainly wasn't calling teachers by there first names or answering them back.

I recall being at Retford station trainspotting. There was loads of us just sat on the station wall writing down numbers and checking in our Ian Allan ABCs to see if we had a cop.

Every now and then the police would come round and clear us off yet we were doing no harm. When they said clear off, clear off we did. There was no saying "make me" or spitting or calling them "pigs" to their faces as they do today.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B. - my mother passed away a few years ago and on cleaning the house out I found my Ian Allen ABC British Railways Locomotives Part One Western Region train spotting book dated 1956. At the begining of April this year King Edward l No. 6024 came through Bridgend on a steam special. This was a rare sight as in steam days the King class loco did not come further west than Cardiff. What did I do? I saw the engine and marked it off in my train spotting book. You see I am really still a child at heart.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Have i sparked off some memories from us oldies? it was about our children but now got into us.So how about this ,we use to go over the marshes to the rivers Lea, there was a old iron bridge over the old lea and you were a sissy if you walked over the bridge, the way was over hand underneath with a drop several feet into water or mud . No one to my mind dropped, if i saw children doing that i would go ape.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Have i sparked off some memories from us oldies? it was about our children but now got into us.So how about this ,we use to go over the marshes to the rivers Lea, there was a old iron bridge over the old lea and you were a sissy if you walked over the bridge, the way was over hand underneath with a drop several feet into water or mud . No one to my mind dropped, if i saw children doing that i would go ape.
I know what you mean Robert, as kids we didn't see or sense danger. It's only when we become older that it hits us and how stupid it was.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Lord B. - my mother passed away a few years ago and on cleaning the house out I found my Ian Allen ABC British Railways Locomotives Part One Western Region train spotting book dated 1956. At the begining of April this year King Edward l No. 6024 came through Bridgend on a steam special. This was a rare sight as in steam days the King class loco did not come further west than Cardiff. What did I do? I saw the engine and marked it off in my train spotting book. You see I am really still a child at heart.
I can beat that colin. I bought a reprint of the 1948 Combine and guess what? I went all through my 100s of railway books and magazines underlining the numbers of the locos that were pictured. Sad aint it?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
First of all sir it is not sad but proves that we are still young at heart. Secondly sir my book is a first and not a reprint so I think I win on that score.hehehehe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
To have a rope swing off a sycamore tree and at full swing being approx 60 ft. off the slope. Sliding down the mountain on card and over a quarry into broom - the broom was burnt down and we noticed a hell of a drop to the quarry floor. Setting fire to bramble to form a drive track along the mountain, the mountain side caught fire and helping the fire service put it out. Worst part was when a fire officer said "B*****d kids - wish I could lay my hands on them". We certainly did some crazy things.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
To have a rope swing off a sycamore tree and at full swing being approx 60 ft. off the slope. Sliding down the mountain on card and over a quarry into broom - the broom was burnt down and we noticed a hell of a drop to the quarry floor. Setting fire to bramble to form a drive track along the mountain, the mountain side caught fire and helping the fire service put it out. Worst part was when a fire officer said "B*****d kids - wish I could lay my hands on them". We certainly did some crazy things.
colin I was too saintly to do those things - o.k. back to polishing my halo :O)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts