chiped diesels

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have read about people who have had their engines chiped Im not very good on car mechanics and so i havent a clue on how this works .I have a 2004 Citroen C5 2LTR HDI VTR ,I get about 33MPG towing ,which i think is pretty good .So what exactly does chipig do ? if i have my car chiped will it invalidate the warranty? Has any one had their diesel engine chiped?

Thans in anticipation Coljac

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chipping in most cases now relates to altering the software that runs your cars ecu. The car is set up by the manufacturer to run on much poorer fuel and maintainence than we have in the UK. This means power and perhaps more importantly for a tow car torque is improved. The danager to your engine if this is increased too much the stresses on the engine, gear box and brakes can cause them to fail.

Yes it does invalidate the warranty if the dealer can tell, most engine diagnostics can't tell that the chip has been altered. Good chipping will not over do the engine etc and not make the exhaust smoky, it will if you drive in the same manner give more mpg.

If you are happy with your cars performance then why bother? If you aren't look for websites that are relavent to your car and look to see who is using what chips. Big players are Van Aken, Supachips and one I have looked at a lot is Turbochips.

IMO avoid plug in boxes as these only tell the ECUs lies and can cause problems. They are usually cheaper but if you are going to the extent of tuning your car in this way have it done properly not with a box. BTW you should also imform your insurer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Chipping in most cases now relates to altering the software that runs your cars ecu. The car is set up by the manufacturer to run on much poorer fuel and maintainence than we have in the UK. This means power and perhaps more importantly for a tow car torque is improved. The danager to your engine if this is increased too much the stresses on the engine, gear box and brakes can cause them to fail.

Yes it does invalidate the warranty if the dealer can tell, most engine diagnostics can't tell that the chip has been altered. Good chipping will not over do the engine etc and not make the exhaust smoky, it will if you drive in the same manner give more mpg.

If you are happy with your cars performance then why bother? If you aren't look for websites that are relavent to your car and look to see who is using what chips. Big players are Van Aken, Supachips and one I have looked at a lot is Turbochips.

IMO avoid plug in boxes as these only tell the ECUs lies and can cause problems. They are usually cheaper but if you are going to the extent of tuning your car in this way have it done properly not with a box. BTW you should also imform your insurer
Hi Paul thanks for the information .I have a Citroen C5 2000 hdi 110 .I try to drive responsibly ,and i usualy get 33mpg when towing which i am happy with .I understand that the cost of a chiping devise is about

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I have a Xantia 2.1 estate which I've had chipped by VanAachen. The ECU hasn't been 'fiddled' with. The chipping is done by a 'black box'. It's transformed the engine, especially its towing performance, although the towing fuel consumption has increased by a couple of mpg. As for the 2ltr HDI fitted in your C5, I would advise caution on chipping. The same engine is fitted to a whole range of cars and vans, many of them as 90bhp units. For the larger vehicles the engine output has been increased to 110bhp and in recent C5's to 138bhp. I don't know which version you have, but surely there's a limit to what can be squeezed out of 2 litres.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
John has given an example of why an ECU remap is better than a plug-in box.

An ECU remap interacts with all the engine feedback sensors - such as throttle position, load, airflow, rpm, and selected gear (auto only) - and integrates these signals into the ECU fuelling calculations. This results in increased power, nearly always better fuel consumption, and seems to be kinder to the engine or the environment.

The plug-in box can only react to the fuelling signals already calculated by the ECU, altering the exact time and duration of fuel injection. This does result in increased power, and either slightly better or slightly worse fuel consumption depending on circumstances.

The disadvantage of a remap is that, unless you have a laptop and the right cable, the remap is stuck in the ECU - you can't simply unplug it.

About 5 years ago, VW were running a team of 170bhp Golf TDI 1.9 in 24 hour endurance races in Germany and Holland, compared to the 115bhp TDI then on the streets. This extra power was courtesy of an ECU remap and a higher setting Turbo waste-gate pressure valve.

If the car manufacturer has increased the engine power, but kept the same gearbox and transmission components - then it should be perfectly OK to apply the same power increase via a remap or plug-in system.

If the car manufacturer made changes to the gearbox or transmission. then take lots of care. For instance, the reason the Mini D has the Getrag 6 speed gearbox, also fitted to the Cooper S, is because the standard 5 speed Cooper or Mini One gearbox won't handle the extra torque from the Diesel engine.

Robert

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I have a Xantia 2.1 estate which I've had chipped by VanAachen. The ECU hasn't been 'fiddled' with. The chipping is done by a 'black box'. It's transformed the engine, especially its towing performance, although the towing fuel consumption has increased by a couple of mpg. As for the 2ltr HDI fitted in your C5, I would advise caution on chipping. The same engine is fitted to a whole range of cars and vans, many of them as 90bhp units. For the larger vehicles the engine output has been increased to 110bhp and in recent C5's to 138bhp. I don't know which version you have, but surely there's a limit to what can be squeezed out of 2 litres.
these cars you mention have different specs.

so the 90, may not even have a intercooler, but the others will

have. they may also have diffeent sized intercoolers, and turbos.

please dont think that the 136 is a remapped 90, as the difference are more than just that.and in todays market, 136bhp

isn't really streching it, loads more left to come.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts