Christmas away this year S/W suggestions.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
We've decided we'd really like to spend Christmas in the caravan this yr if by chance allowed (23 - 27 Dec,) Don't want to go too far, want to avoid dodgy roads / single track lanes: mindful also of poss weather issues. We're thinking mid or south Devon but happy to venture a bit further (we're based in S/E Cornwall). Just me, my better half and our dog. No major requirements just not too isolated - would prefer serviced HS pitch if poss. Options are obviously limited in terms of where is open Beverley Park & Hillhead (Paignton area) are available - any feedback on these 2 would be gratefully received, both look big and v commercial by design - but might do us. Any other ideas also appreciated, Thanks Wayne

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We've decided we'd really like to spend Christmas in the caravan this yr if by chance allowed (23 - 27 Dec,) Don't want to go too far, want to avoid dodgy roads / single track lanes: mindful also of poss weather issues. We're thinking mid or south Devon but happy to venture a bit further (we're based in S/E Cornwall). Just me, my better half and our dog. No major requirements just not too isolated - would prefer serviced HS pitch if poss. Options are obviously limited in terms of where is open Beverley Park & Hillhead (Paignton area) are available - any feedback on these 2 would be gratefully received, both look big and v commercial by design - but might do us. Any other ideas also appreciated, Thanks Wayne
We went to Dolbeare Park for New Year three years ago. Good pub just off A38 towards Saltash where we had New Year’s Eve meal.

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi Clive many thanks, just looked at some images of Dolbeare - looked lovely (and would only be about half hour towing) - sadly appears owners sold up and site permanently closed last Christmas.:disappointed: Out of interest can you recall the name of the pub? Cheers

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi Clive many thanks, just looked at some images of Dolbeare - looked lovely (and would only be about half hour towing) - sadly appears owners sold up and site permanently closed last Christmas.:disappointed: Out of interest can you recall the name of the pub? Cheers
Wayne
Yes it was the Crooked Bridge Inn down the A38 towards Saltash about 1.5-2 miles from Dolbeare Park. Pity DPhas closed as it was in a good position for seeing the area. It had been going for years. There’s another nice pub which is more traditional old worldly at Notter Bridge we had a lunch there.

There is also the Old Rectory Caravan Park at Gulworthy. We’ve never stayed there but it’s been going for many years even as far back as 1986 when we left the area. The nearby Horn of Plenty restaurant is excellent. We had a Sunday lunch there when we stayed at the club site just outside Tavistock on the Princeton Road.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Wayne i wish i could help but it our first time in September 2021 we are stopping near Exeter not to far from Torquay i think like clive and someone else on here will help you out i hope you have a fantastic time .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For the past couple of years we have always gone away at Christmas. Preferably within an hour's drive of where we live. Many years ago we went a bit further and just our luck, it snowed and we could not tow the caravan off the park. We had to leave it there for a week and then return to collect it.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wayne.
We've stayed at Hillhead 3 times in the past 2 years and booked again for next September.
A great site.Various types of pitches to choose from,toilet blocks kept spotless with endless hot showers.
A bus stop right outside the campsite.
Ideal for Paignton,Brixham,Torquay,Dartmouth etc..
We last went there 9 weeks ago (obvious covid restrictions in place).
A handy shop on site(2 customers at a time).
Outdoor swimming pool(closed)
Bar with food available(we never tried it).
We had a wristband each for the toilet blocks with hooks outside on the wall.
I think it was 5 at a time but we never had to queue.
Potwash,laundry room.
We love it there and have booked again for 14nights next September.
Hope this helps.👍
Ade

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
Abit further north than you said, but Wells touring park in Somerset is lovely and open all year - went over new year. Would go again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts