Christmas Road Trip to Spain via Calais

Nov 27, 2006
Visit site
We bought our first Motorhome (Bessacarr E495) two weeks ago and have booked a ferry to take us to see our parents in Spain (near Murcia) over Christmas. We will be going out via Calais and returning via Bilbao and will therefore need at least 4 stop overs.

Other than random 'Aires', we are struggling to find definite places to book and stop so we are a little uncomfortable about the whole adventure really. We're looking for some advice on where to head for or some reassurance that travelling without bookings will be fine...

(btw, our e495 suffered from an electrical fault which aw the headlights turn off when using the indicators. The dealer couldn't find a fault but since returning it to me, it's suddenly gone away)

G

If you search back through this sites history you will find a wide dabate on staying in Aires.

French Aires can be a remote secluded motorway stop with just a toilet.

I suggest that if you stop on the road you should use 24/7 manned service stations on the main motorways, many have parking areas for camper vans and caravans.

You may also like to consider using one of these -http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/index.html . A room that sleeps up to 3 is less than

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Re your lighting problem. do the headlamps and the indicators share a common multi switch? If so maybe there is wear in the switch that causes the headlamps to disconnect as the switch is operated.

OR

Did the headlamps go completely off or go dull? If the latter I would check out the earthing points to the lamp assemblies if they share a common connection.

I wonder why the dealer could not find the cause, was it an intermittant fault.

Your first point about french stop overs, I agree that you are best to use large Aires with lots of passers by for security but last time we stayed on such Aire the caravan next to ours was burgled during the night as its occupants slept. Not going to open the Gassing issues again but recommend that you should stay on an offical site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Kelly,

We have found the same problem with the opening moths at French sites in the winter. We now trvel via Bilboa for this reason.

Have you checked the CC Europe handbook? At the back all the sites are shown on maps and the sites open all year are shown in red.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you are going to murcia, then a good route is down the west coast of France rather than across the middle. this stays near the sea and is less prone to really bad weather. From Bayonne go pamplona, Tereul, Valencia and then Murcia.

It,s a bit out of you way from Calais, but you could come down across to say Niort or Bordeaux.

get the caravan Club Europe 1 book. you will find all year sites on or very near this route at Heric (between Resnnes and nantes) Pons (north of Bordeaux, south of Saintes) St jean de Luz (right on the border) Catalayud (Savinan) Manzanera and navajas (between Tereul and Valencia).

This route also avoids the confusing autoroutes round Barcelona and is much more peaceful.

Ideally, leave St Jean de Luz on a Sunday morning when there will be few if any HGVs. Fill up as soon as you can in Spain and keep the tank well full, particularly on a Sunday. The site at manzanera is next to a filling station.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts