Cigar shape item

Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
My Truman ultra heater s3002 down on the right side corner there is a brass cigar shape unit with a thin brass tube attached to it the tube has came away from were it was attached can this be fixed or do I have to buy a new unit if so can I get one in Australia if not were can I get one in UK also what does this unit do.
Best Regards

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
It's called a thermocouple, or flame failure device. When it's heated up it ensures the gas supply remains. If the flame goes out, the heat reduces and the thermocouple cuts the gas supply.
Not repairable, only replaceable.
See here but obtainable from other sources.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I disagree with Mr Plod.

From the description you give, its the Thermostat and the torpedo shaped end clips into a bracket on the floor plate at the front of the heater, which is visible when only the front cover is removed.
1726918908064.png
The fact the thin copper tube has broken means the heater will not automatically regulate its heat output under thermostatic control. You cannot repair the copper pipe, as its content will have been lost. The copper tube does not carry gas, so there is not a gas leak concern, and you can continue to use the heater but you will need to adjust the flame manually

The thermostat works by having the torpedo sensing bulb and the capillary tube connected to a copper bellows inside the gas valve. the tube is filled with waxy oil that expands when its hot and contracts when its colder according to its returning room air at the base of the heater. When the room air is cooler the wax takes up less volume and the bellows in the gas valve contrats to open up the gas flow to the burner. as the room warms , the wax in th e bulb expands and opens up th e bellows in the valve which restricts the gas flow to the burner.

If the any of the parts of the bulb, capillary tube or bellows loses its containment, the wax stops working. Once broken the the system cannot be repaired, and the whole gas valve and thermostat has to be replaced, as its only supplied assembled, and calibrated.

For the safety of you and your family or other users of the caravan, the removal repair and replacement of the heater should only be carried out by an approved LPG gas fitter.

If it were the Thermocouple as Mr Plod suggests, the connection to the gas valve would be with a braided covered wire, and you could only see the end you describe as a "cigar" if the heater had been dismantled and the burner bar exposed.

PS its Truma not Truman

Last edited:
Reactions: toad a caravan
Aug 8, 2024
Visit site
I disagree with Mr Plod.

From the description you give, its the Thermostat and the torpedo shaped end clips into a bracket on the floor plate at the front of the heater, which is visible when only the front cover is removed.
View attachment 7640
The fact the thin copper tube has broken means the heater will not automatically regulate its heat output under thermostatic control. You cannot repair the copper pipe, as its content will have been lost. The copper tube does not carry gas, so there is not a gas leak concern, and you can continue to use the heater but you will need to adjust the flame manually

The thermostat works by having the torpedo sensing bulb and the capillary tube connected to a copper bellows inside the gas valve. the tube is filled with waxy oil that expands when its hot and contracts when its colder according to its returning room air at the base of the heater. When the room air is cooler the wax takes up less volume and the bellows in the gas valve contrats to open up the gas flow to the burner. as the room warms , the wax in th e bulb expands and opens up th e bellows in the valve which restricts the gas flow to the burner.

If the any of the parts of the bulb, capillary tube or bellows loses its containment, the wax stops working. Once broken the the system cannot be repaired, and the whole gas valve and thermostat has to be replaced, as its only supplied assembled, and calibrated.

For the safety of you and your family or other users of the caravan, the removal repair and replacement of the heater should only be carried out by an approved LPG gas fitter.

If it were the Thermocouple as Mr Plod suggests, the connection to the gas valve would be with a braided covered wire, and you could only see the end you describe as a "cigar" if the heater had been dismantled and the burner bar exposed.

PS its Truma not Truman
Thank you for your reply it's the item in your photo yes the heater still works ok were can I buy this item in UK don't think that have it in Australia but I will check

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Prima Leisure sell it, but you would need to check if they send international. Same with other online outlets. Alternatively is there anyone you know here who could receive it then forward it on to you?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I agree with the prof. I imagine that, like thermocouples, they might be a universal item. Perhaps just varying in length. If so. It will be easily available, and cheaper than relying on OEM parts.

Just done a little research. And it could be that the sensor unit, (cigar shaped bit in red), might be permanently fitted to its control, (in blue). If so, it appears to be an expensive part. Perhaps £200. I hope you can just replace the broken part.

IMG_0447.jpeg

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with the prof. I imagine that, like thermocouples, they might be a universal item. Perhaps just varying in length. If so. It will be easily available, and cheaper than relying on OEM parts.

Just done a little research. And it could be that the sensor unit, (cigar shaped bit in red), might be permanently fitted to its control, (in blue). If so, it appears to be an expensive part. Perhaps £200. I hope you can just replace the broken part.

John
As I stated in my first reply, the thermostat bulb, capillary and bellows are an integral part of the gas valve, and have to tested for calibration after assembly for reasons of safety for maximum allowed working temperatures and correct operation. It is not available separately from the valve assembly. Any one who attempts to replace the bellows will not be able to verify the valves safety or correct calibration. For your safety DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE VALVE or any of its apparent sub assemblies.

Back in 2019 I believe Truma had outlets in Australia. Any official Truma dealer will be able to order the part.

Truma Heater S3002 / 5002 Gas Valve Kit – 30090-00142​

Im sorry but I have no idea if any UK based dealer would be prepared or allowed to export the valve assembly to Australia.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts