Circuit breakers

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
It has been pointed out to me that the circuit breakers are safe but I should take into account the type fitted are no longer the industry recommended practice.

The circuit breakers fitted are a single module with a switch neutral and I should consider changing to double pole versions.

Has anyone else come across this?

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
New one on me Adrian.
I know there's a difference between UK and Continental practice on this, which is why EHUs "over there" are oftne wired (as we see it) wrong way round - they don't worry which is live and which is neutral, because the switches on their appliances break both wires,
Sounds to me as if the "double-pole" circuit breakers might be related to that issue, but I've only a basiic knowledge of electricity.

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi Tony

The only thing I can think of is that the type of breaker I have is going out of production and to fit double pole breakers would mean a new consumer unit.

But you could be right about being on the continent.

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi folks
The use of DP (double. Pole) circuit breakers does improve safety, it ensures that both live poles of the mains supply are disconnected in the event of a fault regardless of whether the L&N (live and Neutral) inductors are wired with the correct polarity

As for whether Motorhome fuse-boxes can accommodate DP devices I am unsure, but would suggest that your main CB should be a DP RCD at the very least !

In the UK, both live and neutral conductors are classed as live conductors under BS7671, a standard which covers electrical safety in buildings and also extends to the fixed (non automotive) electrical wiring in mobile accommodation including caravans and Motorhomes etc.

C J Flatters.
Electrical Consulting Engineer

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
There are simple plug-in testers you can plug in your 230v 13A socket which will verify instantly if your polarity is correct !

A worthwhile investment if you are travelling

If you use 230V in your awning it is even more important that you are protected by a DP RCD (Residual Current Device) with 30mA sensitivity for safety !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts