Citroen C5 automatic

May 23, 2006
Visit site
I'm considering buying a C5 2.2 saloon automatic (yes I am aware of it's reputation) but I'm concerned about the apparent low towing limit. Citroen head office arn't responding to info requests and the owners manual is misleading (at least it is to me). Has anyone got one of these who can help. I tow a Bailey Pageant Vendee (max 1319kg) but don't load it to its limit.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Marcus,

The What Towcar website gives your car/van combination as a good match. Last week I followed a C5 with Bailey Pageant Bretagne along the A10 towards Sandringham CC and we had trouble keeping up with it and we were solo at the time.

I have colleagues and friends who have C5's and none report any real issues one has 75K on the clock. The ride is met to be exceptional.

Regards Monkeys Husband

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What is so misleading in the owner's manual, Marcus? The Citroen website is fairly clear. It states that the maximum permissible towload of the 2.0 diesel automatic is 1400kg and that of the 2.0 petrol automatic is 1500kg.

May 23, 2006
Visit site
What is so misleading in the owner's manual, Marcus? The Citroen website is fairly clear. It states that the maximum permissible towload of the 2.0 diesel automatic is 1400kg and that of the 2.0 petrol automatic is 1500kg.
Maybe I should have been more specific. The car I was considering is a 2003 model 2.2 Exclusive diesel automatic. The Citroen web site gives details for the new cars only and it looks as though the 2.2 is no longer produced. The max weight for the 2.0 new model is indeed stated as 1400kg. However the owners manual for the car I was looking at stated different weights for different gradients, starting at 1100Kg. Citroen UK have also now responded and confirmed that the the max towing weight for the 2003 model 2.2 diesel is indeed 1100Kg.

Thanks for your responses anyway.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Marcus,

The What Towcar website gives your car/van combination as a good match. Last week I followed a C5 with Bailey Pageant Bretagne along the A10 towards Sandringham CC and we had trouble keeping up with it and we were solo at the time.

I have colleagues and friends who have C5's and none report any real issues one has 75K on the clock. The ride is met to be exceptional.

Regards Monkeys Husband
I have towed with a 22 HDI MANUAL for 3 years now, with a 'van of just under 90% ratio.Absolutely no problems, very comfortable and quite economical if you keep speed below 60 mph. Great on the continent, service is cheap compared to UK.

Don't know about the automatic, but I have seen them towing in France. Make sure that you change the transmission fluid MORE often than recommended! Don't think you will have any problems with your Pageant, but why not get a manual? (If you do, remember to disable the ESP when pulling away on loose gravel up a slope!

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts