CL Let Down

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
In June 2006 we stayed on a 3 acre site in Wales. Lawned with views to the Snowdon Mountains. We booked again for this September on last years contact details. On arrival the CL had been reduced to 1/2 acre at the end of the site with a low fence dividing it from a commercial site. The CL entry said 3 acres the commercial site entry said 3 acres for 20 vans. The pitches were numbered 1 - 20 including the CL. We stay on CLs so we know only 5 vans will be on site. Had we been told of the changes we would not have booked. Has anyone else had a similar experience when the CL status does not match expectations?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jill, We been to few CL site over the years, Some have been nice other a real let down, But thinking about it the price of some CL is out of this world, One I know charge

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi

We have stayed on some lovely CL/CSs but the biggest let down is those that have more than 5 vans or are just a commercial with a small area that they say is a CL/CS. The ones that stick to the 5 van only rule are far nicer out of the ones we have stayed on. But how does one find out if a CL/CS is really a 5 van only site as the club guides include all of the others as well?

Regards

Denise

Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
Yes, they are Colin, but no-one seems bothered.

we booked one a few years ago on the Lleyn peninsula in Wales. Arrived on the Saturday (we were No.5), went out Sunday lunch and came back to find NINE vans crammed in.

The site advertises commercially so maybe they weren`t CC members, but when I asked the owner if they could actually have 9 vans on the site was told its their land and they could do what they wanted. If I didn`t like it I could f*** off, as they would fill the (now cramped) space anyway.

So I did. I also reported them to the CC, who didn`t even reply.

I also pass a pub C.L every day that usually has more than its allocation during the summer months,my friend lives opposite it and complains about the number of vans but again neither the CC or the planners are interested.

I don`t have a problem with these sites having as many vans as are comfortable and safe on them, as the more pitches that are available the better for us all. I do object to them circumnavigating planning rules by using the CL/CS loophole, which not only disadvantages site owners who do things properly, but if the CC and C&CC that `regulate` these 5 van sites don`t do their job there will no doubt be some Government quango that decides they will do the job instead. Then we are all surely doomed,

Clubs - GET YOUR FINGERS OUT!

Mar 14, 2007
Visit site
I've stayed at many a CL with more than 5 vans on site.As long as the land accommodates them comfortably then I can't see a problem.

Rules are rules but if you feel the need to report everyone for breaching those rules instead of enjoying your holiday then I feel that's a bit sad.

If I were to report every driver causing an offence on the road then I would be on the phone 24'7 to my local police station.

Jul 16, 2007
Visit site
One thing we always check before we book a CL: go to multimap and enter the postcode, then check if there are any footpaths from or near the site. In the past, we booked a couple which sounded ideal, but had nowhere to walk the dog, except very narrow lanes.

CL's are a gamble, this year we stayed on one in Shropshire that was dreadful, they said dogs welcome but wouldn't let them in their other paddock so the only place to take the dog in the morning was along a busy A road. We also stayed on a farm one in Ludlow, never saw an owner, paid the son & never did find out where to empty the waste!

Having said that the cheapest one

Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Margaret

I am a caravaner and also run a CL. So I like to use Cls when we can, but I also want to know what to expect when I arrive on site , I therefor use two methods to find this out, firstly 5van.co.uk have a good collection and if I cannot find whats wanted I have some DVDs from armcher.com, if all these fail I give the CL a call and ask what the Cl is like.

On our own CL we would be quite happy to explain or setup, and welcome prospective customers to visit to see what we have to offer. If I found myself on a CL that to my mind was not what I expected I would move on, of coarse I would pay my dues first.

David from Suffolk

Jun 22, 2006
Visit site
We booked into a lovely cl site which has a commercial site adjacent. We used this CL site nearly every month last year because of the lovely setting by a river, so you could imagine our shock when turning up on our last weekend to be told by the owner he had reserved a pitch on the commercial site for us because people on the cl site had decided they wanted to stay longer. No apology only that he would charge us the CL tariff. Do you think the caravan club would do anything about this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts