CL Site reviews (How to avoid a bad one!!!!)

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Good evening all. A am wondering if anyone can let me know of any Review site that deals with CC CL Sites.
I enjoy the smaller CL type of site and I have stayed on a good many sites that are excellent. Where the owners are justifiably proud of the facilities they offer and the positive comments they must receive from satisfied customers.
However the reason for my post!
I recently visited a site for four nights in Lincolnshire and to say I was disappointed is rather understating my feelings. I perhaps should have had a suspicion when the site was vacant during the recent extended bank holiday / Royal Wedding week. I can only say it was the worst CL that I have stayed on. The site costs were £2:50 per night more than the what was stated in the book, and the only facilities being Water, Waste Disposal and toilet waste disposal point, Obviously that is all I usually require but a good many sites that I have used have Toilets and Showers available for less than the charges on this site. The ground conditions were shocking and I never saw the site owners after paying my fees the whole time I was there Needless to say I will not be returning.
I know the CC invites comments about CL sites on their web site but they don't post these for people to view.
I am sure that if there was A CL review site then I could have avoided this site along with the couple who arrived the day after me who intended staying for a full week but shortened their stay to two days mainly to look for another site in the area. I have left a balanced view on the CC site albeit negative but It has left me wondering what would be the criteria for the CC to suspend a sites membership of the scheme or to ask owners to improve their pitches.
It has at the least made me appreciate the many first class CL sites I have stayed on.
Sorry for the Rant but Just to reinforce my main request for information of Any CL Review Sites
Best regards to all Brian

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I can't help you with a specific place where you can find reviews on CL's, but you could always do a search on UK Campsites. I use that quite often for reviews.

If you visit http://www.armcher.com/ you can download clips of some CL's. Obviously there's only a few video clips of some CL's. I use that site too. I have been quite surprised matching the wording from the CL site to the video footage on Armcher in some cases. One site that took my fancy had a basic website. But on looking at the video from Armcher, there were five vans crammed onto a concrete yard right next door to the owners house.
smiley-surprised.gif

I'd love to be able to see independent reviews on CL's I think it would be really useful. What annoys me is that on the CC website, you can leave a review for CL's but you can't view any reviews on CL's (I think that's correct).

Lisa

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Lisa and Wendy for your replies. I have (Provided I have done it correctly) left a review on the CC site. Yes I am very frustrated that the CC don't publish the comments and reviews they receive, but in one way I can understand it to a degree.they obviously need to sure that comments are accurate and current because a negative review could impact seriously on a CLs future even if the owners make wonderful improvements or even changes owners, mud has an habit of sticking. I am however encouraged if as you mention that the CC looks into comments that flag up that sites are perhaps not up to what we all have come to expect. I have certainly been on sites that are not as good as others but this one was by far the worst and the only one I have ever felt the need to moan about.
thanks again for your replies. Cheers Brian

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Just out of interest Brian did you complain to the site owners at the time?
Our co-website Caravan Sitefinder accepts site reviews and each author is entered into a £1000 draw. When an occasional poor review is submitted whenever possible the site representative is contacted to allow them the right of reply. A recurring comment from the site owner is that the complainant didn't mention any problems at the time so that matters could be rectified.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi Parksy the short answer is no I chickened out a bit. The other guy staying on the site told me that the owners were new and with the site being associated with the Public House on the site he had been told they were concentrating their efforts on the Pub and not getting involved with the site other than to put the price up and collect the cash. he had been to the site before and had been warned by a friend before coming that it was getting run down. It is in an area that we frequent quite often and I shall have a look from time to time when passing to see if is picking up at all. The Pub was nice and If they switch on to the site it would be a lovely venue. I think it is perhaps at the next stage down from where a bit of TLC could sort things.
However It's not beyond sorting with a bit of determination. I suppose I have been lucky with previous sites because this one was a bit of a shock.
I take the point however that a few minutes friendly chat with the owners could have broached the subject of their long time intentions. I suppose if they are aware of peoples expectations they may realise that a busy site will probably be fundemental in a small way in helping keep the wolf from the door. The Pub trade being as difficult as it is now days.
I do hope they make a success of it and get some good advice because it would be a shame if people avoided the site.
Regards Brian

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Most of us have done the same thing Brian, it's like when you have a meal out and although it's not bad it could be better. When the waiter comes over midway through to ask if everything is ok we've found ourselves syaying "Yes, fine thanks" rather than make a scene
smiley-embarassed.gif

I suppose you could write them a letter with some good advice, it's a shame to see a good CL slip below standard and the chances are that as publicans they know nothing of what caravanners expect from a small site.
The worst that can happen is that when you go to that pub again the landlord could utter those immortal words - "You're Barred!!!"
smiley-laughing.gif

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes Parksy I am a bit of a self confessed Wimp. I take quite a bit of getting wound up.
I did once nearly get barred from a pub for falling asleep by the side of the snooker table when everyone had gone home, gave the landlord quite a shock when he was locking up!!

Cheers Brian

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi All
It would be very helpful if the Caravan Club would publish on its website (within the details of a CL) the comments made by members abou a CL. This is done by the Camping and Caravanning Club where they have comments on a CS. This has just been very helpful to me in deciding to stay at a particular CS in June. Otherwise we are left to 'read between the lines' of the description of the site and to look at satellite images of the site.
Cheers
Paul

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The only trouble is Paul that if there were two certified locations within a few miles of each other but cl 'A' is more popular than cl 'B' there's nothing to stop friends & family of cl 'B' sending in some spurious bad reviews in order to damage the reputation and undermine the trade of cl 'A'.
This sort of thing has actually been attempted both with touring parks and caravan dealers involved on this website so we know that it goes on.
Fortunately as reasonably experienced moderators we usually spot the 'ringers' straight away on this site but I can't envisage the CC checking to see if every review was genuine if they were published so it's a good reason for them not to.

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Hi Parksy,
I understand that this is a potential problem with any published feedback. However, as you say, experienced moderators can spot the ringers and I am sure the CC would have this expertise. In addition the CC could only accept comments from members logged into the 'members' only' section of the website (as they do for the current unpublished comments). The C&CC mange this problem by reserving the right to edit and/or not publish comments they regard as inappropriate.
Publication of comment would help those of us who try to use exclusively CLs (and CSs) to widen further our 'repertoire' of sites that we visit. (We have a list of about 50 sites in England and Wales we would revisit).
Cheers
Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts