Cleaning upholstery.

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi Terry, I thought all fabrics nowadays were supposed to bear a label providing washing instructions? I suppose it depends on the age of the 'van and it's upholstery. If an instruction label is not evident I would err on the side of caution and take the covers for dry cleaning, as most upholstery tends to be covered with a heavy-duty (but shrinkable) fabric which might take exception to a tumble in your average washing machine. I may be wrong! I'm sure other forumites will offer more of their own ideas/advice.

I haven't tried washing any of my bench covers; I tend to use throws to protect them from the worst ravages of dirty dog paws/canine smells, and wash the throws after each outing. I also stand all the cushions upwards for a day or so after returning home from a trip, to ensure they get a good airing. If it's wet, or if you have to keep your caravan in storage and can't leave the 'van with its doors and windows open there are some good fabric refreshing aerosols on the market to keep the 'van sweet!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Although, in principle I object to the "one for the ladies" comment; I find myself answering :angry: anyway we didn't remove the covers to clean upholstery (it had buttons through it and I wasn't going to mess with them), we used one of those carpet and upholstery cleaner machines. The sort that sprays clean water and detergent in and sucks it up again. Did a good job.
mel

Apr 13, 2009
Visit site
Awww, sorry Mel' didn't mean to upset anyone by that? I know that whenever I need to ask techy stuff, I refer to them that know more about cleaning. In this case, SHMBO or a person of the female gender. Us men only get it dirty, we don't know how to put things like that to rights. Sorry!
On the cleaning mac hines, we have a Vax. Might try an inconspicuous part, see how it goes.
TerryE.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Be careful with carpets too. Our carpets had seen about 150 nights from new. The instruction book said vacuum and there is no information on the actual carpets (which are lift out). The book also says dry clean only for curtains.

So we lightly shampooed the carpets and the backing disintegrated in places on 3 sections and completely on one. Several stages later ( via dealer, van manufacturer, dealer etc. etc. we had a call from the carpet maker. We were asked whether we had got the carpet wet, which since we had shampooed it was obvious, only to be told the carpet was not suitable for wet cleaning, so it was our own fault !

The saga continues. I have told the dealer that a direct replacement is not acceptable since the same problem will occur next year. That a major manufacturer can fit carpets that can't be cleaned beyond vacuuming is (bearing in mind Forum rules). 'surprising"

In the meantime, chilly feet during the next trip or the tripping hazard of loose mats.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts