Cleaning your water pipes

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi,please can anyone tell me the best way to clean the water pipes in your caravan and what to use? And is it the same for waste pipes?

Many thanks Steve

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We use Milton (or any stores sterilising fluid). Add it to your water in the aquaroll, turn your taps on a flush it through. Remember to replace the water in the water carrier with fresh water once the job has been completed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Further to Ann's suggestio nalso make sure you flush out teh milton solutoin from the caravan pipework + heaters as well. Milton is basically bleach and will eventually corrode metal fittings if not fully washed out.

Alternativley use a brewers cleaner such as Chempro SDP, which is compatable with metals.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Milton and any Bleach is basically a chrorine solution and will do real damage to your Truma water heater if not flushed away quite quickly. This is because the heater is made from Stainless Steel and Chrorine is a no no.

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we use Puraclaen and it is compatbile with plastic and metal, and leaves no taste. You can even get the Puraclaen in tablet form in case you had any concerns over a site's supply. You then just does the aqauroll but at a less strong solition than for claening.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I always use Milton/sterilising solution. I flush all the pipes and leave it standing overnight. the next day I flush the whole system with fresh water.

I don't think you are supposed to fill the hot water tank with sterilising solution as it reacts with the copper.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

We have never treated a caravan water system as potable and only use it for washing, washing up and laundry. That way you remove the worry of infection and damage to the system from chemicals. A few drops of Milton at the begining of the season to the aquaroll and inboard tank is all I do.

The waste water tank gets a capful of bleach now and then as do the sinks and shower drains - if you are meticulous about no solids down the sink drains and park so that the drains drain, if you get my meaning, then waste pipes will not become too contaminated or smelly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Graeme

Only the Carver Cascade 1 shaped like a mushroom had a copper tank, Early Trumastores used an enameled steel tank.

Cascade 2 used an phenolic coated aluminum tank, as did the Morco, the Trumastore uses as pressed stainless steel tank.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

You can use the products mentioned above but you will get and after taste from many of them and they will only do half the job.

If you use Kemdirect cleaner / descaler you will remove both the germs and bacteria and the calcium build up ...if any.... where many of the germs live.

With some of the products suggested you will not remove scale as they are not descalers only cleaners.

Kemdirect is completely biodegradable and leaves no taste after rinsing the pipes or tanks etc.

You can use it safetly throughout the caravan both in the drinking water and waste water and then take it into the house and use it as a pure descaler in kettles, shower heads etc. Here you can actually see it working.

It is available from www.trail-a-mate.com as mail order or through some dealers and suppliers.

Hope you find a product that you feel safe with and does the job.

Joyce

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

You can use the products mentioned above but you will get and after taste from many of them and they will only do half the job.

If you use Kemdirect cleaner / descaler you will remove both the germs and bacteria and the calcium build up ...if any.... where many of the germs live.

With some of the products suggested you will not remove scale as they are not descalers only cleaners.

Kemdirect is completely biodegradable and leaves no taste after rinsing the pipes or tanks etc.

You can use it safetly throughout the caravan both in the drinking water and waste water and then take it into the house and use it as a pure descaler in kettles, shower heads etc. Here you can actually see it working.

It is available from www.trail-a-mate.com as mail order or through some dealers and suppliers.

Hope you find a product that you feel safe with and does the job.

Joyce
Thanks everyone. Have used Milton looks like it worked, will have a look at Kemdirect cleaner may get some for next time.

Thanks again Steve

Jun 5, 2006
Visit site
Further to Ann's suggestio nalso make sure you flush out teh milton solutoin from the caravan pipework + heaters as well. Milton is basically bleach and will eventually corrode metal fittings if not fully washed out.

Alternativley use a brewers cleaner such as Chempro SDP, which is compatable with metals.
You can't get chempro SDP any more. Out of production I'm told. There are other similar products, but Milton is a no no due to corrosion possibilites.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts