Clip-on mirrors

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I have heard that it will be illegal to tow a caravan without the EU stipulated type of mirror from this November. Also mirrors will be compulsory with a 3 points on your licence penalty if not complied with. Anyone know if this is true or has someone started a mischevious rumour, can't find any info on the DVLA website.

Apr 30, 2008
Visit site
David, there have been many threads on this topic over the last few months. I found this one

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?fo=13&fm=397285
which seems to sum it all up. However, I was in the Discovery shop at the weekend and the assistant was pointing out to a customer buying mirrors that the ones he had chosen were not EU marked, she also said that the new regulations were in place now and that ALL mirrors, to be within the law, should be EU marked.

Aug 13, 2008
Visit site
David, there have been many threads on this topic over the last few months. I found this one

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?fo=13&fm=397285
which seems to sum it all up. However, I was in the Discovery shop at the weekend and the assistant was pointing out to a customer buying mirrors that the ones he had chosen were not EU marked, she also said that the new regulations were in place now and that ALL mirrors, to be within the law, should be EU marked.
David,

I work in the industry and should declare that I sell both E marked mirrors and non E marked. I have researched this thoroughly and you would be best to buy E marked mirrors now if you are buying new ones - as it is an EU directive (NOT law yet) but if you were to change your car to a brand new one, then the E marked mirrors would become necessary in 2009 (March I think). If you are not buying new mirrors or a new car then there is no need to (but feel free to do so).

I am sick of telling retailers this and they are not passing it on to consumers.

Incidently, the E-marked mirrors should not be anymore expensive than non E marked of the same type. Most if not all mirrors will become E marked over the next few months.

Hope this helps.

BTW 5 government departments (and reading all EU directives on the matter) before I could get an answer. So Mr traffic policeman won't have a clue but better safe than sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts