CLs and CS sites

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone else feel that the number of CL and CS sites seems to have dwindled away ? I can't say this for nationwide, but anything and hour or two from SW Wales where we live is either in the £20 plus range and often there are extras for dogs, awning etc. Also, when in an area we have a look around at CLs and CSs in the area. The difference in them to how they are described in the books is often a lot to be desired, Often the photos show two vans on site but if there are five there is hardly walking space between them, Others are overgrown with grass up to your knees as the farmer also wants to make hay from it.. Fifteen years ago we used to regularly go to two nice sites under 2 hours away but both have closed. One is still in the book though. We don't want facilities as use them on the van though electric is nice but not essential. Ok there are loads near Tenby but we can virtually walk there, so don't want to take the van ! We do limit ourselves by not wanting a large commercial site.
OK, moan over !

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Pinto, try Ivy Cottage Farm, Nicholaston, Fantastic CL with a steep walk down to the beach near Three Cliffs. £18 inc ehu and toilet, but no shower.
I agree that some are pricing themselves out, but £15 - £20 seems to be the norm now. Bear in mind that £30 per night on serviced sites is not excessive now. There are still some good ones left.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
We pay £17/n for a fully serviced pitch and fast free wi-fi on a farm CL. There is a free wet room if anyone wants to use it. Mobile phone is rock solid (two sites/4SPs) within a 1000m radius, equally good TV - in fact the only letdown is that national FM radio is essentially non-existent but DAB works well.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We use CS and CLs. Last two were magnificent. Fully serviced 16 amp pitches. £20.00 per night. Toilet and shower provided.
One is near Holmes Chapel the other near Telford.
In fact we haven’t stayed on a Club site proper for three years now!
I guess it depends on what you want. There are still plenty of cheapies available. Can’t say for Wales area though.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
We tend to use the same cl's , one at £15 per night toilets and showers and 16 amp ehu , the one that we found at Easter is £14 per night 16 amp ehu water but no shower which I can live with , both with spectacular views . Club sites tend to be if the weather is really bad and I need hard standing which we tend to use the ones where the kids are £1 for the night and there is a few within our travelling distance not that im tight ...... much !! :p

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
We do venture out of Wales, but it's a 2.5 hour journey to the Severn Bridge on a good day and then you feel you are going somewhere. I must know the M4 like the back of my hand ! We have an hours trip before we even reach a dual carriage way..
Heading north is as bad on slow A roads stuck behind a silage trailer for miles. Not that I'm really complaining as life at home is lovely and quiet..
There is a cracking CS site about half a mile from us but that's a bit too close.
Thanks for all your replies

May 7, 2012
Visit site
There do9es seem to have been a drop in numbers but there are still plenty about. They tend to be in clusters where tourism is heaviest. I suspect more people want full sites these days but the problem I think is the outlay in setting up these smaller sites is putting many people off.

Jun 1, 2019
Visit site
I was talking to the owner on a little CL that we go on. He said the profit margin is so tight that it's hardly worth the bother. Mostly due to the electricity bill. Some selfish campers seem determined to use as much as possible, to get their monies worth. Leaving their heating on when they go out, fan heaters in their awnings and even sitting out of an evening with electric patio heaters running!
They are probably more thrifty at home, I bet.

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I agree. We only use gas for cooking except the one electric hotplate on the stove. Use a gas kettle, but electric for fridge, water and the vans own heating system. I do use a slo cooker occasionally. I speak to people who use fan heaters instead of the vans heating, an electric hob from Aldi to cook on instead of gas and electric kettles. As you say some spoil it for all.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Since day one when we started and we reuse the same CL site most the time more than other CL's for the last 7 years and in that time her price has only gone up £2 to £15 per night .

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Just browsing through two old magazines from this year picked at random. The C & C Club site update 3 new CS sites opened, 17 CS sites closed. In the C & M Club 1 new CL site opened, 20 CL sites closed,

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Tourer-Ted said:
I was talking to the owner on a little CL that we go on. He said the profit margin is so tight that it's hardly worth the bother. Mostly due to the electricity bill. Some selfish campers seem determined to use as much as possible, to get their monies worth. Leaving their heating on when they go out, fan heaters in their awnings and even sitting out of an evening with electric patio heaters running!
They are probably more thrifty at home, I bet.
Ted’s point is still very valid,
The selfish ones heating awnings etc etc will be the death knell of our CLs and CSs. There are now sites, I stayed on one at Aviemore , where you buy your electricity at the EHU with a prepaid card. Maybe that will become more widespread.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Pinto said:
Just browsing through two old magazines from this year picked at random. The C & C Club site update 3 new CS sites opened, 17 CS sites closed. In the C & M Club 1 new CL site opened, 20 CL sites closed,

Looking at places for a September break I noticed that quite a number of the CL/CS were verging on mini Club site facilities. Clearly some investment had gone in and the prices reflected that input. Could the position be due to the general upping of requirements by the touring folks. At a recent trip away it was quite apparent that the younger folks and families had very large tents, motor homes and van. The site provided luxury glamping tents too. So perhaps as the hobby goes upmarket the the business to the traditional CL has reduced even though today’s vans can be self sufficient for longer periods.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Numbers are dropping. When I started caravaning in 1969 the caravan club had 3500 CLs,. I know 2 five van sites owners who both complained about electric costs. One put the price up to reflect it and the other closes for winter even though it’s usable all year. We have noticed this year that numbers seem down. We have been on 5 CLs or CS’s recently which have been quiet. All owners report bookings down. All sites are pleasant have hook ups and a couple have facilities so I can’t see why we’re often on our own. We are now in a large field with mown grass, very quiet with easy access. Loo and shower available, we don’t use but understand that boiler and shower are new this year. We have 12 amps and all for £15.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts