CL's in the Lake District

May 15, 2005
Visit site
hi there, we are going to Keswick for our main holiday and are thinking of trying a CL in the area for a couple of days prior to going to our main site.

We have not used CL's before, so are looking for somewhere special and pretty to see if CL type holidays can get us hooked or at least give us the inspiration to try them again.

We do require electric hook up, a flat pitching area, aswell as possibly a loo. We also have 2 young children.

We would preferably like to be somewhere in the region of Penrith - Keswick - Cockermouth. However may consider CL's outside this area if they are the perfect place.

Look forward to your recommendations. Cheers!

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
hi andrew

a nice cl we went to a couple of years ago was irton house farm its on page 299 of the caravan book its got wc and showers elec hock up views to die for over bassenthwaite lake reg the farmer was very freindly took the children on a quad bike ride round the farm also let the children help with lambing and feeding the lambs hope this helps.it as a web site www.irtonhousefarm.com

keith

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi thanks for that Keith.

Could you give me a little more info about this site as to the pitch types eg: level, hardstanding, general surroundings, etc.

What are the toilet and showers like?

Any other info appreciated, including the approach roads?

Have you heard anything about the CL Greenacre also near Cockermouth.

Many Thanks

Andrew.

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
hi andrew

all pitches are on grass but are level wc/showers clean and heated approach roads are good its about in the middle between cockermouth & keswick general surroundings country side very quite nice view over bassenthwait lake sorry do not know about greenacre cl

keith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Andrew

Now keep thes to yourself orf else we will having half of the caravanning population descending on the Northern Lakes but....

Greenacre CL is midway btween Cockermouth and Workington. The pitches are on grass and levelling blocks would be required on most of the pitches. WC & showers available as well as elc points. Views over the Derwent valley towards Solway Firth butnothing spectaular. Nothing much for kids other than kick a ball around the site??

Ellerbeck Farm & Fishery in village of Brigham very close to Cockermouth. Small secluded site on grass pitches which could be difficult in wet weather. More for kids to do possibly.

Now then...... the gem of them all is:

The Beeches in Cockermouth (page 299 under Cockermouth). All hard standing, additional car parking, spotlessly clean WC & Shower (small charge). The most stunning views imaginable across the Buttermere Fells. Excellent TV reception if you need it from fixed ariels. Approach road needs care but is not difficult. Cockermouth about 1 mile away for shops etc downhill going but a good pull uphill on the way back if walking. Not sure about kids but plenty to do in the immediate area. You will not see too much of ther owner except in the evenings or early mornings.

All the "owners" are very friendly as all Cumbrians are!! I hope this may give you a few more options. How do I know about these CL's - I'm a Cumbrian from just outside Cockermouth but now exiled in the south but still "ga hyeam" frequently with the 'van and have stayed on all the above CL's

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Clubman, I will take a look at that and give it some thought!!

A good standard of CL will suit us well for the initial trial of CL's, to see how we like them.

Thanks again.

Andrew

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Our most favourite CL near to Penrith is at Upfront Gallery, Unthank on the road to Wigton. Its only about four miles from the motorway. It is level, has a toilet and shower. The Gallery has a coffee shop/cafe. Access is excellent, its quiet and handy for Penrith and the Lakes.

Now that I've told everyone I expect we shant be able to get booked in next year.

JET

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Excuse me for butting in on your chat, but, we are relativley new to caravaning so....what are CL sites and where do we find them advertised??

Norm.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Excuse me for butting in on your chat, but, we are relativley new to caravaning so....what are CL sites and where do we find them advertised??

Norm.
Joan,

Join the caravan club and they will send you a Sights directory,al cc sights are listed including a section of hundreds of CL`s, a CL is a certified location monitered by the CC they are only allowed 5 vans at any one time. They range from very basic ie a feild with a tap, to very superior,I stayed on one near cambridge where every pitch had it`s own drain and water, they tend to be a lot better value for money than large sites.

Hope this helps

Tony A.

JET

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Joan,

Join the caravan club and they will send you a Sights directory,al cc sights are listed including a section of hundreds of CL`s, a CL is a certified location monitered by the CC they are only allowed 5 vans at any one time. They range from very basic ie a feild with a tap, to very superior,I stayed on one near cambridge where every pitch had it`s own drain and water, they tend to be a lot better value for money than large sites.

Hope this helps

Tony A.
Thanks Tony. We will contact the cc to join.

Regards Joan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts